Friday, March 03, 2006

Pistol Pete

Reid saw Maravich play for LSU in Athens. I had read about that hook shot...and the standing O by the UGA crowd. I'll have to ask my dad, but I think he took me to see the Pistol play for the Hawks. Ceil's brother's father-in-law, Don Southard, lives in Abbeville SC. As a senior in high school Don played against Maravich, who was a freshman at the time. Did you ever see the movie that chick-fil-a made about him? I also have a Maravich book, talking about the troubles he had as a Hawk. 

Opening day is tomorrow, and of course Will and Matthew play at the same time. I'm supposed to keep score at both games! Matthew is less interested this year...no girl teammate. 

We got our new phone system. Jacksonville has asked me to visit, which will be nice. If I put it off until April, they have a minor league team. I go to Chicago the week of June 4th. The White Sox and Brewers are both at home that week. I’ve fallen behind in my data gathering, being busy at work, only getting the paper on weekends. I’ve been listening to some books on CD during my commute, having stumbled across some at the library. Today I finally hit AJC.com to read all the Braves articles I had missed. 

We’ve lived in our house for eleven years now, and today is the first time we have ever had the nine Bradford Pear trees professionally trimmed. Ceil says it looks great, so hopefully there will be less of a chance for a limb to split during a storm. We’ve never had that happen, though a few neighbors have, and so has Ceil’s dad. Luck, or perhaps we have a different kind of tree. 

I was figuring Salty would spend most of this year in the minors. McCann came up last year only after Estrada got hurt, right? Is Brian Jordan getting work at first? Heard anything about Eddie Perez? 

What is your opinion on driving a personal vehicle, versus flying, like on this Jacksonville or Cincy trip, and getting reimbursed about $.46/mile? 

Today I am also putting out feelers about where to visit to see the new SAP system. I’m trying to make it a MLB city…either Cincy, Philly, Boston, SF, KC, Phoenix, or Seattle. Today at lunch I finally checked out the schedules for the Phils, Reds, BoSox, Brewers, and Chicago teams. 

My family is into American Idol. 

Lang’s sister gets married April 8th. Ceil is going to a shower next weekend. 

Survived the busy month end, celebrated by going to see 'Walk the Line' the other night. Showed how June Carter dealt with negative feedback from fans after her divorce, considering her fine Christian parents. 

Barely noticed the wonderful weather, but will leave early tomorrow, to help Matthew at his practice. Opening day is Saturday, and I haven't been there yet. No big deal that he's not into it, but once he starts hitting better, it'll be more fun for him. 

Lang conducted a phone interview with Bobby Cremins last night. 

Hudson to pitch opening day, with Smoltz as the number two starter. I'm all about winning the division/making the playoffs, but with the way Smoltz wore down late last year, what about making him the 4th starter? Probably not much difference.

No comments: