Sunday, November 27, 2016

1969 Western Division Champions

Every few years I go completely off my rocker and make a completely unnecessary impulse buy. Well it was Black Friday and it was on sale and it was dirt cheap to begin with and shipping was free and no one ever wears the 1969 pinstriped home jersey to games, and if if they did they'd wear Hank Aaron or Phil Niekro or Clete Boyer or Orlando Cepeda or Joe Torre. No one ever wears a Sonny Jackson number 16.
The perfect jersey is one you never see anyone else wear. I'd been browsing the cheap jerseys from China websites, where I'd bought my Bob Uecker jersey a few years ago (below). Perhaps a road grey Maddux or a green St. Patricks Dansby Swanson. I like the powder blue Dale Murphy or the 1957 Hank Aaron, but they didn't look authentic enough. The late 70's red pinstripe nickname jerseys don't exist, and I wasn't finding a plain road grey jersey I could personalize with DEWS on the back. That may be my next purchase.

The Uecker Cardinals jersey was too expensive, but that's when I stumbled across the 1969 pinstriped Braves jerseys. Uecker's was number 12 - also sold as a Dusty Baker. The 12 and 15 (Joe Torre) were tempting, but they didn't have the 1969 MLB patch on the sleeve. You think there'd be an Aaron or Niekro, but no. The Clete Boyer number 6 did have the patch, but I thought I'd look better with a double digit number.
I have hit on three recent focus groups, and made three sales on eBay this weekend. Haven't made many thrift store purchases. So my impulse buy is well justified. Right?

No comments: