Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Braves Penalized

Braves: any thoughts on the penalties? You know me: I don't think the loss of 13 prospects will be as earth shattering as everyone thinks. All are super young and 4-5 years away from the majors. The Braves will have plenty of time to adjust. The loss of $17 million investment is rough, to be sure, and the top (#9) prospect could be a loss, but he only hit 240 last year. No guarantee he'll turn out great. I saw other averages of 250 and 265, and ERAs of 3.65 and 6.50.

This won't effect next year's team, except the front office is stronger. Losing the prospects and the millions of investment is nothing to sneeze at, but those players were several years away. Many fans were acting like the impact would be immediate. Sure the three years going forward will hurt and the Braves will miss out on some prospects, but they'll just have to concentrate on domestic players for the time being. I trust Dimino's opinion, and he thought it is a big deal.

Rob: You are right, there is no immediate impact, but they will start to see the impact in a few years when there are (probably) no Latin prospects in the high levels of the farm.  It will put more pressure on them to 1) get things right in the domestic draft, 2)  make wise choices in free agency and 3)  get trades right when they are trading away prospects.

I was pretty mad about it yesterday, but I have a little more perspective now.  One of the bright spots out of this, I believe, it that it forces them to move away from this "Braves Way" concept that Schuerholtz had forced down on the organization.  I believe the organization desperately needed a new voice, and got one with Anthopoulos (AA).  I think that Coppy was good at assembling young talent, but I was not convinced he could construct a major league club.  I think Hart was in the way in the front office, as were JS and Bobby Cox.  It seemed like too many voices, and as we saw, little oversight or accountability.

I thought it was very telling that during the AA hiring press conference, it was only McGuirk and AA sitting at the table.  I know the Braves won't publicly address JS role in this, but my guess is that Liberty told McGuirk that both Hart and JS needed their roles in the organization minimized.

I always felt that the 14 straight division run was both a blessing and a curse.  Being competitive for that long was a blessing, but the organization's inability to let go of the past has been a curse.  Hopefully now we can move on from that.


ME: Worked past 5:30 Monday afternoon. Ceil cooked a chicken pasta dish. Anna was home. After supper we went to Home Depot to get a Christmas tree. Later we (I) watched David Letterman receiving the Mark Twain Prize on PBS. Also The Voice, Leno's Mark Twain show, and some of the Falcons.

All the people thinking the Falcons have righting their ship after winning two games aren't looking too close. They beat a depleted Dallas team, and were lucky to get out of Seattle with a win. Devonte Freeman is out again this week, and they might be facing Tampa at a good time. But the Birds have yet to put together four quarters of championship football against good competition.

I think the Falcon game in Seattle was on WSB for all the people that don't have cable. Also ESPN and the NFL Network I think. I knew they had the lead. Matt Bryant kicked a short field goal to make it a 2 score game, then the Seahawks drove 75 yards in 45 seconds, thanks to two dumb Falcon penalties. I went to bed after that. Sounds like I missed some. I did see the Marist highlights last Friday night.



Tuesday was busy at work. Left at 5:20. Anna had Josh over. Matthew was home for dinner, so we all had a good time. C cooked Mexican, then later chocolate chip cookies and hot chocolate. Later we watched Chicago Med.

Josh said there were so few student tickets for the SEC Championship game that not all the seniors got tickets. Anna is supposed to run a half marathon in Athens next April with a friend. We'll see how that goes…she's only run one Peachtree Junior as a kid.

Wednesday: not much traffic this week, which has been great. Plenty to do at work, considering that so many people are out for Thanksgiving. In my immediate area eight of 14 people are out. Everyone brought food to eat, including Chickfila biscuits.

Tonight we're having our East Cobb thanksgiving with our entire brood, including W&MC. Tomorrow we all drive to Macon, then later we all drive to SC for a big gathering on Friday (except M, who has to work both Thursday and Friday). The Clemson crowd leaves Saturday morning for the game in Columbia, and we'll come back to Atlanta on Sunday. Ceil's mom has been in and out of the hospital. My mom had surgery last week.

No comments: