Thursday, July 13, 2023

When Winnie Met Goose

 

A&C came over for supper last night. Winnie was gentle with their little puppy Goose, who would play for a bit before laying dawn to nap.

At one point while sleeping Goose had her foot in the water bowl. After they left I washed the dishes and went to bed.

Currently reading “Those Guys Have All the Fun: Inside the World of ESPN”. Sort of a history as told in stories by many of the participants throughout the years. The founders, Rasmussen and his son, just wanted to start a cable channel covering sports in Connecticut. They quickly learned their channel would reach the entire country, so they worked to broadcast 24/7. Soon ESPN got so big the founders were forced out.         

Hazing: these days coaches and probably even the military and military academies probably can’t get away with near what used to go on. My coaches in high school were pretty hard on us verbally, some worse than others.

My nicknames at work…

1. Sarge. Two higher ups were saying they needed a sergant at arms to keep uninvited people from other departments out of our lunch meetings. I was within view, so they said I could be that doorman.

2. Double D. We were stuck with some old material called Domex, so I became Domex Dave, or Double D.

3. Bill Baldwin called me Gilligan. I called him Skipper.

4. Ben and Buck call me Murf, and it's spread to most of the sales office - even switchboard operator Lauren. So does Beard and several of the purchasing guys.

5. Rachel and Angie call me Dave-o.

6. The tubing lady calls me Murphy.

7. Rachel Flores calls me Mr. Murphy.

Just counted – so far this year I have played golf 36 times. Nice. I won’t be able to play much after September, but I’ll hit the gym even harder then.

Young people especially in their 20’s and 30’s these days really seem to jump from job to job. Drives us older workers crazy. You get someone trained and they leave. Just today a young lady we work with in Thomson GA left her company. Hadn’t been there a year. Guess it’s the easiest way to get a raise, though I’m sure some do it for reasons other than money.

Also just got notification of an employee in our Jacksonville facility who is celebrating his 50th anniversary with the company. In the photo are at least two 40 year employees.

Hated the All Star uniforms. Made it harder to tell which team each player was from. I did like the black pants. To me those are old-timey.

Wednesday: the Dreamland BBQ for lunch: BBQ, macaroni & cheese, potato salad, Brunswick stew, banana pudding. Didn’t get the BBQ until almost 1:30 pm.

Today: up early this AM to run. I was able to save some of yesterday’s Dreamland BBQ for today’s lunch.

Looked like they had some good crowds for the NBA summer league games.

Dr. Duane Brooks: “The only Bible we really believe is the Bible we live.

DAVE WINFIELD  [SABR Bio] holds the record for the most doubles hit in All-Star competition. Winfield was an All-Star every season from 1977 to 1988. During that time, he racked up 7 doubles, a record that has held up for more than 3 decades. No player in the Modern Era has more extra base hits hit after the age of forty. Winfield played his final game just two days shy of his 44th birthday. He hit 107 doubles, 12 triples, and 87 home runs after turning 40 on 03-Oct-1951 - his total of 206 XBH edged out Carlton Fisk’s 205 for most since 1900. Winfield is the tallest position player in the Hall of Fame. At 6'6", he edges out Frank Thomas by an inch. There’s a possibility he’ll be replaced by Aaron Judge retires. At 6'10", Randy Johnson is the tallest of all in the Hall.

No comments: