Saturday, September 09, 2023

Stuff

Wish I had an office at home to display the stuff that I have that I like. You have different items but hardly any duplicates. It’s one thing to have several of the same Michael Jordan card, for instance. Makes me want to make a list of the things I’d have that I would display – a big photo of Grant Field from the late 70’s. A few select bobbleheads. Perhaps a football helmet and Braves batting helmet. Wish I had my old single bar helmet from high school. Anna gave me a framed commemorative card from the night Hank Aaron hit his 715th home run. A Braves cap.

At work I try not to have too much stuff on my desk, but I have a 1969 Baseball Encyclopedia, a 1940 JM Tull hardcover catalog, Don Zimmer bobblehead, Bob Uecker nesting doll, a Braves baseball, Smoltz mini bobble, and photos of Ceil, Anna, Matthew, and W and M. Three mugs filled with pens: one with Shivonne, and two different Braves mugs. My orange hardhat is from ESPN College Gameday.

I’m starting to sound like Steve Martin in The Jerk: “All I need is this chair. That’s all I need. This chair. And this bolo paddle. That’s all I need. And…”

With all the old stuff in C’s parent’s house – closets and drawers stuffed with old stuff that wasn’t touched for years and years. When I cleaned out a bunch of old magazines last weekend, I saved a few old SPORT and Sports Illustrateds with Michael Jordan on the cover. Also a few with Ken Griffey and Muhammed Ali. They are even older Sports Illustrateds out in a shed, but they probably have water damage. Also found an unworn t-shirt from the Charlotte Hornets first year, and a few Charlotte Hornets ticket stubs. Also ticket stubs from the 1982 Orange Bowl.

Looks like we’ll have to go back to SC next weekend. Cleaning out their parent's house has to be hard for C and her brother. Doesn’t help when people watz in and instead of helping, just make a mess while picking out what items they want. C had uncovered a tiger pin her mom used to wear that C wanted as a keepsake, but all of a sudden it disappeared.

Pet peeve: people calling attention to themselves. Drives me crazy. Yes it used to be everyone in the choir would stand still and look at the conductor. Now people are moving around, waving their arms. Seems like they’re just calling attention to themselves.

Some people ALWAYS have to tell their story. Hate it when people are talking and someone says something like “so and so has covid” and the other person has to tell a longer story about the 5 times THEY had covid, and how bad it was and blah blah blah. Goes back to what we were talking about yesterday – putting others ahead of self. I really make an effort to not make conversations about me, but about the other person. 

I worry about telling the same story over and over to the same people. When I start talking (which is rare in a crowd, as it’s hard to get a word in edgewise) but when I start talking Ceil will roll her eyes or try to stop me. I told you how upset she was about my speech at the wedding. I figured the speech was the only time I’d have to talk and not be interrupted !!

Sometimes you just got to stop and look around.

Article: debunking evolution. Again: don’t believe everything you read.

Thursday: worked until 6 pm. C had a bad day so we went to Marlow’s Tavern to use my birthday meal. She loved her chicken panini. My burger was good, but part of the bacon was rubbery. Then I gassed up her car, so it was 9:30, so I went to bed. Forgot my daily blog post, so I had to post two on Friday.

Friday: kinda blue. I am thankful to God that he’s made me so resilient to all the crud that happens around me. It’s not supposed to be about me, but it’s tough when so much negative stuff is going on. At work and home. People being people. I am happy with how God made me. There are so many people that I wouldn’t want to be like. Others are okay. I could have a better internal attitude about some others. As Nick Saban says, there’s always room for improvement.

GAVVY CRAVATH [SABR Bio] led the majors in home runs in four of his first six years with the team. Led MLB in 1913, 1914, 1915, and 1917 with 19, 19, 24, & 12. He also led the NL twice more. His career OPS+ is tied with Honus Wagner. Cravath’s 151 OPS+ (tied for 37th) finished ahead of Nap Lajoie’s (150), Ralph Kiner’s (149), and Willie Stargell’s (147). In a game in southern California, he hit a high-arcing ball that killed a gull in flight. His nickname “Gavvy” is a corruption of the Spanish word for seagull (gaviota). ME: the name of my new HOKAs is Gaviota.

No comments: