Saturday, November 10, 2018

Casey and Yogi

My favorite Yogi-ism is “He hits from both sides of the plate. He’s amphibious.” I have one of Yogi’s books. He autographed it. 
 
Famous Casey Stengel quotes:
 1. Never make predictions especially about the future.
 2. The team has come along slow but fast.
 3. All right everyone line up alphabetically according to your height.
 4. I don't know if he throws a spitball, but he sure spits on the ball.
 5. I feel honored to have a ballpark named after me, especially since I have been thrown out of so many.
 6. I was such a dangerous hitter, I even got walks during batting practice.
 7. If you are so smart, let me see you try to get out of the army.
 8. It's wonderful to meet so many friends that I didn't used to like.
 9. They told me my services were no longer desired because they wanted to put in a youth program as an advanced way of keeping the club going. I'll never make the mistake of being 70 again.
10. You have to have a catcher because if you don't, you are likely to have a lot of passed balls.
 
This Sunday afternoon at 3 pm a few of the baseball men are meeting at Turner Field / Georgia State Stadium to tour the locker rooms and coaches offices, etc. In addition supposedly legendary SW Dekalb high school football coach Buck Godfrey will be there as well. As a youth in South Carolina Godfrey was a member of the first all-black baseball team to compete in the Little League World Series. If you’d like to go I can pick you up. Should only last an hour or two.
 
Thursday night: my BBQ wings were great. I was thinking how they were almost exactly like the wings I’d eaten last August in Roswell. Good that they were so consistent.
 
Had an eventful evening after dropping off my date (Reid W). Picked up Okie from Will and drove home. Okie was well behaved in the car, but he’d get his face near the windshield and fog it all up. Got home and he and Barney played until they were exhausted.
 
I watched the exciting Wake Forest last minute comeback. Instead of risking a field goal attempt, NC State went for it on fourth down, but highly-rated senior QB Ryan Finley threw an incompletion. The Deacons moved down the field, then a short pass to the tight end became the game-winning touchdown. With 30 seconds left, after a disastrous 9 second kickoff return, State moved to midfield, where a last play Hail Mary pass was intercepted at the goal line. The defender wisely fell down to secure the upset.
 
Anna arrived after 11 pm. We went out to get her gas and money from the bank. Didn’t get to bed until 12:30 am. Had to take the dogs out this morning in the rain.

No comments: