Saturday, December 14, 2019

Hot Stove: Hanna Bat Company

Arrived at Hot Stove early. Had 14 in attendance, and we just chatted about the offseason. One former English teacher had written an article about the Hanna Bat Company of Athens GA.
Passed around samples of old bats from the 1930s.
One sold for fifty cents in 1937.
Several were used by major leaguers, including Lou Gehrig and Jackie Robinson.
Pretty sure I have a Hanna bat at home.
Hanna Bat went out of business when the aluminum bat came along.
Afterward I talked to the English teacher about writing.
The article had made its way to Cooperstown, who gave the teacher a lifetime HOF membership.
I was Hot Stove cap trade night. I brought a few caps to trade and went home with a new white front Gwinnett Braves cap to add to my collection. Passed on a real nice Boston Red Sox cap because I just couldn’t go there. There were several young boys who had come. They had first pick of the caps and one little boys selected the cut Jacksonville Suns cap I’d brought, with a sun with a baseball in the middle. He loved it.

No comments: