Wednesday, March 17, 2021

St. Patrick's Day Massacre

I was reading a book about Why We Sleep, written by a Berkeley professor. Droll and detailed, too scientific. The guy kept jumping through hoops, using evolution to explain what he couldn’t figure out because he refused to accept God’s hand in creating the human body. Moved on to a novel: Nine Perfect Strangers, about several random people coming to the same spa, but with everything going on I couldn’t focus on it either.

I see what Connie Morris, Catherine Norman, Cindy Pitts, Cathy Hoffer, Bert Norton, and Rob Wallace are reading, and other friends on Goodreads. Sometimes one of their books look good, and I put it on reserve. Not ready to start a David Platt book. Need to start a Phil Niekro book, so I can return it to its owner. I’m listening to The Upside of Falling, another novel that’s been a good distraction for me. In the book the main character uses reading as a distraction. Life imitating art.

In 1943 Sammy Baugh led the NFL in passing, interceptions, and punting. He is considered the greatest punter of the first fifty NFL seasons, if not all-time. Baugh led the NFL in punting four straight years, and had the longest punt for five straight years – all 74 yards or longer. His career average of 45.1 yards stood as the best in history for 62 years, until 2014. Yet only two punters who later bested Baugh’s career average had careers longer than Sammy’s 15 seasons: Andy Lee (46.5) and Shane Lechler (47.6, the current leader). Baugh is considered the Babe Ruth of football.

No fun here. Busy with work and my dad’s estate. Had a Zoom call and several lengthy phone calls, plus still being behind on my job.

Tuesday I worked from before 8 am until almost 7 pm. C was at her ministry. I cooked me a couple of quesadillas using the Mexican leftovers from Sunday night. Finally started adding butter to the panini press.

Was in bed before 9:30 pm. Exhausted. Been having odd dreams. The night before last the dream was kinda apocalyptic / end of the world type. I wasn’t too worried, and finally decided to dream about something else. Last night I was supervising a kid at some big amusement park. Everyone had to wear masks due to covid, and I lost the kid. I wasn’t too worried. I figured he would turn up.

For St. Patrick’s Day I’m wearing my new Augusta Greenjackets golf shirt, plus the green Stance shamrock baseball socks. Will be interesting to see what green the Braves will be wearing today.

I like history a lot more now than I did back in the day. I have a list of top baseball books I want to review, but it will be awhile before I have the time.

JACKIE ROBINSON  [SABR Bio] was the first player to earn BBWA Most Valuable Player status after winning a BBWA Rookie of the Year Award. ROY in 1947; NL MVP in 1949. He garnered MVP votes in each of his first seven seasons in the majors. MVP votes every year from his 1947 rookie year through 1953, winning the NL honor in 1949. He played himself in a different field of entertainment. Starred in the eponymously-named film The Jackie Robinson Story with co-star Ruby Dee playing his wife Rachel.

Denison: in his own mind, one CNN commentator’s postmodern god differs from the true God revealed through Biblical scripture. 

https://www.denisonforum.org/?utm_medium=email&_hsmi=116323491&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8mGfZc9BrKmTYksiKwDbdHFkiN1dwDw9ooEc0lxMxbdCEqju2oOmPePzKc4gblSGo3w4V0WrAKsug-d-jV9rpXKqoOAw&utm_content=116323491&utm_source=hs_email

No comments: