Monday, December 13, 2021

Tears for a Teammate

Sunday afternoon I was receiving messages from my high school football team’s group text: a teammate passed away after a long illness. I’d played football with Jeff Stewart my sophomore and junior year. He was a year older than me, the starting offensive guard. He wasn’t at the 40 year reunion. As I recall, Jeff had worked as a fireman and had suffered a stroke a couple of years ago, that he was never able to recover from.

A few months ago former teammates Cape, Roger, Jessie, and Troutman visited with Jeff down at Jeff’s son’s football game. Jeff’s older brother Jimmy was my B-team coach, and I played Little League baseball and football with his younger brother Chip, coached by their dad Ray and brother Jimmy. Anna took ballet with the daughter of Jeff’s cousin Matt, who was calling this weekend’s state football playoff games for GPTV. I hung out with Matt a few years ago at the Hurts house. That’s where I learned he was cousins with Jim, Jeff, and Chip. Today Cape penned a touching tribute.

Others from the 1975 team who have passed away: WR Stan Putnal, FB Randy Rutherford, DB  Hodges Glover, and head coach Gene Brodie.

Big news: GT lands a 3-star running back, the 46th best player in the state. He might leave after one year to play pro baseball. Also a metro Atlanta linebacker also committed to the Jackets. Will they have a top 50 class?

Tech needs to sign a transfer QB like Auburn’s Bo Nix, or whatever QB transfers from UGA. Idea: Stetson has a year of eligibility remaining, but it appears he’s moving on from UGA.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-tech/camden-county-running-back-jamie-felix-commits-to-georgia-tech/OSYKEZQVVZGFHGZ2PQWFWOLLLU/__;!!AE29DT8V!AxuXjMIloNDHc5WYzTAaW9p9vOFfGsdGexdz3ISF1oRl6GRXmZFBUhbsnl2XWMT0mqw$

Watch: why Coke is getting rid of Tab and other unprofitable, unhealthy beverages.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/nutrition/coca-cola-ceo-on-why-he-s-getting-rid-of-beloved-beverages/vi-AARLC0S?ocid=entnewsntp 

Left work Friday for my doctor appointment. Also post office, bank, Dick’s Sporting Goods, The Gap, and Goodwill. Ate at Scoville Hot Chicken. VERY GOOD. Huge sandwich. Back home I watched several movies.

Saturday: more movies, a nap, laundry, and general cleanup.

Sunday School Christmas party attended by 35+. Did the right thing and carpooled from the church, which made for more fellowship but drug it out an hour longer. Good food.

Why didn’t anyone tell me that Betty White passed away?

Pet Peeve: when people say “why didn’t anyone tell me…” It’s not anyone’s job to tell you anything. You’re responsible for finding things out yourself. Also: besides maybe work and immediate family, it’s not my job to be the news provider for anyone else. Get off my lawn.

Ceil comes home from SC today. Small group tonight.

Ways to Burn Body Fat.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/best-ways-to-burn-fat__;!!AE29DT8V!C2O2mUeI8INSZlv1Hp7g3kDgAwMvsVJYLlvTObfLRJ1o5dU6d0RhrEV4M2c7bUbzyBU$

No comments: