Saturday, March 04, 2023

Friday and Saturday

Last night's mission's conference dinner was good. Not to mention the BBQ. Got to speak to Heather Swilley Taylor. Her daughter was leading the singing in the room we were in. Sat at a table with five people we didn't know. A 78 year old man who had served on a mercy ship. Three of the people knew Caleb, and one girl knew he was marrying Anna. A nice 50 year old couple in Clarke Davie's Sunday School class, Stephen and Dawn Loftin.

We had heard the speaker before. After he didn't tell the story of tasting bacon for the first time, I shared it with our table. Later I got to meet the speaker, who was friends with a couple in our class. I told him I missed the bacon story.

AM golf with GT and the vet. Cloudless sky. 49 degrees.

1. Flubbed tee shot. Hit mulligan right. Okay 5 iron short of bunker. Bad chip good chip. Two putt. Double.
2. Hit a good 6 iron off tee. Short chip better chip. Two putt. Double.
3. Six iron veered left. Decent chip. Short chip. Two putt. Double.
4. Good 6 iron off tee. Okay chip. Impossible green. I told GT we should all deduct a stroke from our scores due to the muddy slopey green.
5. Decent 3 wood off tee. Wish I could hit my woods further than my irons. Okay chip. Great lag putt. Bogey.
6. Drive sliced right. Never found it. Found another ball. Flub, flub, then an iron shot to the fringe. Two putt. Triple.
7. Another too short slice off tee. Fair recovery shot from rough. Flub, then a great fairway shot with my rarely used hybrid, to the fringe. Shot of the day. First putt didn't make it halfway to the hole, but then I sank the 15 footer for double bogey.
8. Okay drive off tee. Decent 8 iron to the fringe. Good chip. Missed the par putt.
9. Three wood sliced right into the trees. Mulligan was a worm burner. Hit a good 8 iron pin high that bounced left. Bad chip better chip. Three putt. Snowman.
Didn't feel as comfortable as yesterday, but my chipping is improved. Found two balls on the 3rd hole and two more on the fourth. Lost my drive on 6 but found one while looking for it. Lost one on 9, but I still came out 4 ahead for the day.

After golf this AM I waited an hour for the guy to show up. He never did. Since I was downtown I drove up near Toco Hills to see if a used bookstore was interested in my eleven boxes of old Sports Illustrateds. I was going to give them away to the meetup guy (or to the bookstore). The bookstore guy gave me $5 a box!

With my car finally empty I headed up crowded 400 to Roswell to get my oil changed. They were super busy and the wash appeared to be broken. Auto Zone, Dollar Tree, RaceTrac, home.

C went to a baby shower for Joel Norman's wife Abby. Charles' wife Annie is pregnant as well, with her second baby (I think). I fixed BBQ chicken quesadillas. Then I got the oil changed at a different place. The self service device is so complicated they station an employee out there to operate the machine.
I saw Mr. Mitchell's obit.

No comments: