Saturday, August 19, 2023

Deliverance

On Tuesday Will took Shivonne on a hike up in the mountains.

Notes from the 50 minute “Sales Tsunami” Zoom call that I endured, that applied to me. My Tulsa friend LaDonna spoke. You’d think a lot of this would be second nature for a Christian. Where appropriate I’ve changed “customer” to “other person”.

Let the other person be the star.

Let the other person do 80% of the talking.

Concentrate on the other person’s point of view.

Thank the customer on every call.

 Show appreciation.

Ask different questions.

Get the complete picture.

“If we don’t take care of our customers, someone else will.”

Don’t talk over other people.

Don’t make excuses.

Listen and think about what you are saying – me.

“When I make a mistake, I try and own up to it” – LaDonna.

Not the Little League World Series, but in regular Little League back when my kids were playing some boys would show up decked out with all the accessories the big leaguers wear – two batting gloves, their own helmet and bat, batbag, elbow guard, shin guards, expensive cleats, sunglasses – and the kid can’t even play. Sometimes the parents have to carry the batbag. I see dads boasting of exploits on social media. But 99% won’t make their high school team, and 99% of high schoolers don’t play in college, and 99% of colliegand don’t make it to the minor leagues, and 99% of minor leaguers don’t make it to the majors.

But anyway it’s the same with some hackers on the golf course. Between every shot they’re digging in their bags, taking off jackets, putting on jackets, fiddling with gloves, doing everything except watching their partner’s shot, or getting ready for their next shot. Pet peeve. My beef.

Left work at 3 pm on Tuesday. Chatted with The Chief at Kroger. Then my eyedoctor appointment. My right eye just can’t see many letters, unless it is large print. They want me to have outpatient laser surgery to remove the opaqueness on the back of my lens, so my left eye will be able to see as best it can. Ugh. When I had my cataract surgery in December 2021 they put me “almost” completely to sleep, just not quite 100%. I remember about 5% of it. Not too bad. Afterwards I woke up in a recovery room. Ceil had to drive me home. Since it was over at West Paces & Northside, we stopped for brunch the first time at OK Café. The second time Sandy Springs to Broken Egg Café – where we saw the Whitakers.

For this upcoming surgery it will be in and out “laser” surgery. Not the kind you usually hear about, but just something to clear the lens on the back of my eyes. Shouldn’t take long, except for the waiting. I can drive myself home, and no anesthesia. I go for my consultation next Wednesday morning.

I’m going back to the same doctor who did my cataract surgery. When I had made that original appointment the doctor I’d been recommended to was tied up. They asked if I wanted to see Dr Patel. Sounded like a good doctor name. I went to the office and picked up a flyer listing Dr Patel’s credentials – Duke undergrad, Rutgers Medical School, residency for New York Ophthalmology. Then I flipped over the flyer to see her photo = it looked like a young glamour shot. But she did a good job. I guess. How do you tell?

No comments: