Sunday, August 06, 2023

Top Ten NBA Players?

Dr J’s top ten NBA players, in no particular order. His only criteria: no active players.

Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, Kareem, Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Karl Malone, Nate Archibald. A strong list, though I’d replace at least Archibald and Chamberlain. Dr. J himself was no slouch, but Kobe was better.

In response Shaq listed his top ten;

First team (in no order): Magic, Kobe, Michael Jordan, LeBron, Shaq.

Bench: Steph Curry, Allen Iverson, Tim Duncan, Karl Malone, Isaiah Thomas…”and Kareem”.

“No disrespect to Charles Barkley and Kareem and Malone”. Great players all, but Iverson and Isaiah weren’t top ten.

My 20 greatest NBA players, in no order: Bill Russell Michael Jordan Kobe Magic Bird West Kareem Oscar Robertson Elgin Baylor Karl Malone Charles Barkley Shaq LeBron Duncan Chamberlain Havlichek Steph Curry Mikan Pettit Erving.

21-30: Giannis Durant Stockton McHale Walton Maravich Iverson Isaiah Barry Dirk.

More: Archibald Dominique Bill Bradley Willis Reed Scottie Pippen James Worthy Dolph Schayes Cousy Hakeem Earl Monroe Moses Malone (I could go on).

My all-white NBA top ten, in no order: Larry Bird, Jerry West, John Havlichek, Bob Pettit, John Stockton, Kevin McHale, George Mikan, Rick Barry, Pete Maravich, Bill Walton.

Honorable mention: Dirk, Luka. 

The NBA’s 50th Anniversary Team

Fun fact: the only Drem Teamer to win two NCAA championships was Christian Laettner.

More people are interested about the Braves Falcons Hawks and golf than tennis. The Atlanta Open is a blip on the radar of tennis schedule. Doubtful there’s much tennis coverage for the major tournaments. Not much hockey coverage either. In the car I listen to books instead of sports talk, but I think I’ve seen a little coverage of the tennis tourney on 680 the fan radio.

Connie Morris went to Ponce City Market Monday to see the Skittles VW bus, passing out mustard flavored Skittles. Connie loves mustard. I entered the sweepstakes to win a package of mustard flavored Skittles. Want some?

Wednesday night I worked past 6 pm. Stopped by AutoZone on the way home. Also RaceTrac, so it was after 7 pm before I got home. C cooked beef tips and noodles, and tossed a salad. We watched two episodes of King of the Land.

Man I got a lotta work to do. Worked past 6:15 Thursday night. C cooked Mexican beans and rice, and grilled chicken tenders for supper.

Watched the last available episode of King of the Land. The final two episodes of the show debuted on Saturday and Sunday. Korean culture seems to be a lot more respectful and dignified and a lot less crass than American culture, though Korean culture may be just as focused on celebrity as the US.

Ran 3 good miles Friday morning at the gym. Boss brought me apple fritters this morning, a delicacy we both enjoy. On the way home I grabbed a birthday burger at Firebirds in Alpharetta, a nice steakhouse across from Avalon.

Ceil went to Athens to see Dawn.

Golf on Saturday morning. Later the fam gathered at Vine City Park to eat burgers. MC took the picture. Shiv played in the fountains.

C and I were invited to join a missions council at church, but with the busy fall I’m going to have, I just can’t. Might take the year off from small group.

It’s a weird world we live in. Getting weirder all the time. Old guy at work had a pimple an said he must be going through puberty. Would I want to go through puberty again? It would mean I was young and had my whole life ahead of me, but not sure I envy the young, having to grow up in this crazy world.

No comments: