Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Braves Pirates

Tuesday: left work at around 2:45. Traffic was light and I made it to my usual parking spot well before 3:30. Made the walk uphill (118 feet change in elevation) and arrived at the Chop House Gate well before 4 pm. Along the way I snapped a photo of Johnny Sain’s memorial brick. A long time to wait. Queued up next to an older fan from northwest Georgia that I had hung out with before. Messed around with Darrell as well. Saw my friend from Augusta but didn’t get to speak. Checked social media and worked some emails and posted a bobble for sale.
 
Gates opened at 5:30. Met former coworker Chris and introduced him to Miss Marion, the usher. We got our designated driver Cokes and later hung out in centerfield at the base of the state of Georgia flag, in front of the big State Farm sign. Couldn’t see the jumbotron but otherwise was pretty good. Nice breeze blowing.
 
During the national anthem there was no color guard so we turned our backs on home plate to face the American flag. The anthem was performed by a guy playing the saxophone. Very good. Behind the flagpoles stands the Omni Hotel, and it was nice to see the people at the pool and on balconies standing at attention for the anthem.
 
After falling behind 2-0 in the first, we had a good view of the four home runs the Braves hit in the bottom of the second: Donaldson, Markakis, McCann, and Albies. Later McCann added a second home run. He is one RBI of joining Markakis with 1000 career RBIs.
 
Got to speak with several friends: Michael, Kevin, Coach, Chris’ cousin, and Sandy. A decent amount of unique jerseys: Stargell, Clemente, Chris Johnson, Squints from Sandlot, Maddux, Smoltz, Glavine, Rocker, McGriff, Taillon (Pirates), Utley (Phillies), Coco Crisp, Babe Ruth, Michael Bourn. Austin Riley may be in a slump, but several of his jerseys and t-shirts are starting to pop up. One even looked like a knockoff.

I broke out my green Braves Ronald Acuna #82 St. Patrick’s Day jersey, camo cap, and adidas shelltoes with the green stripes. Later I tracked down Kevin and Coach. Coach quipped that I was blowing up social media. My post to the bobblehead group was supposed to be funny but was blasted by a few strangers jumping to conclusions. I was judged guilty with no chance of proving myself innocent. Got bullied pretty bad. Eventually had to delete the post, though more than half the comments had been favorable. One more reason to stay off social media.
 
Walked back to the car and stopped by RaceTrac for a Vitamin Water Lemonade. Dropped some books by the library. Made it home by ten, and started watching the game until the rain delay.
 
The four home runs had been hit in the RaceTrac inning, so all ticketholders could stop by today for $5.00 in merchandise. For lunch I grabbed two pieces of pizza and a diet Mtn Dew. A profitable evening. Sold $134.00 in bobbleheads plus received another $32.00 in extras. Not a bad return for my $11.00 ticket.
Finally found a pair of super cushioned Hokas that might work for me. Hoka Stinson Trail Black Red Cyan. Not the best colors but I won't be wearing them out for fun.
 
When I was in the singles department at SPdL I went into Bill Murray’s office and I talked to him about going into the ministry. He gently advised that if there was any way to not go into the ministry, to not do it. Better to serve in a lay capacity. He was right.
 
Had a college classmate that went into the ministry and serves in a church far away. When I found out I couldn’t believe it. These days he’s always posting political stuff on social media, so much that I finally blocked him.
 
Some people in the ministry always seem to be going on exotic trips and vacations, and to conventions and training seminars. Now I don’t know what their personal situations are, but it makes me wonder when they’re actually doing the work. Guess maybe some of the travel and hobnobbing is part of their jobs. To me the travel would be appealing and seeing old friends is always fun but is that really getting the Lord’s work done?
 
Same at work. Some people’s jobs are spent mostly in meetings as opposed to getting orders from customers and getting the metal cut and shipped. When I go to a meeting I still gotta go back and do my real job.
 
Saw where a nephew of mine preached his first sermon this past Sunday in his hometown in Indiana. More of a testimony. He’s 30 now and had struggled for the longest time to find his way, through drugs, alcohol, other religions. Admitted the error of his ways and his talk was very Biblical and Christ-centered. The fall he is enrolling at Duke Theological Seminary. Not sure how he chose Duke. Very liberal. Way different than a Bible-based church in a small midwestern town.  
 
Did Durant’s injury help the Warriors come together and go for the win? Some were saying the Raptors fans were cheering after Durant’s injury.
 
Monday: left work around 6:50. Stopped by Chickfila to cash in a nugget coupon. They’re still in the fridge. Made it home before C and Dawn, who had been out fabric shopping all day. They fixed Chinese for supper, including egg rolls. Later I had the last of the berry cobbler with a little ice cream.
 
Focus group tonight on genetics testing.

No comments: