Friday, July 03, 2020

The New Face of Baseball

The Braves started practicing today at Truist Park. Gotta get used to Ronald Acuna's new look. At least he is all about fun, as opposed to politics.

It's been a busy week. Got several blog projects in the works but not sure I can finish any of them today. Upcoming: 

1. An essay on grey facemasks, after joining a Twitter discussion on the topic.

2. My take on a kid's ugly uniform list.

3. Hopefully not sharing some of the things I've been hearing out in the big old ugly world, like maybe 

4. Looks like the Washington Redskins are being bullied into finally changing their name by FedEx and Nike, something perhaps they should have done some time ago. Will the Atlanta Braves and their tomahawk chop be next? Thought it interesting some players were wearing caps today with a tomahawk on the side. There's also a move afoot to change the Cleveland Indians name.

Tuesday: bought a new pair of sneakers on the way home from work. Then Anna and I went to look at a car, but it had already been sold. Ceil went back to her Table on Delk women's ministry. M drove my car to the Starlight Drive-In down on Moreland to see a horror movie. Anna drove Ceil's car to meet friends at their Brookhaven apartment. She worked at Madewell Wednesday and Thursday.

Wednesday Ceil traveled to extreme north Georgia, north of Blairsville for a girl's weekend at Nottely Lake.  I ate leftover burgers. Very good. Worked past 6 pm. Washed Anna's Subaru and cleaned out the inside. Took out the trash. Watched the Tom Hanks / Julia Roberts movie Larry Crowne for at least the third time. Still good.
Thursday: tracked Will on his way to Ann Arbor. At 9:50 am he passed Loudon KY. Cartersville Chattanooga Knoxville Loudon Lexington Cincinnati Dayton Toledo Ann Arbor. W&MC are traveling to Ann Arbor to help MC's brother move. Thomas will be working for Google. He'll be one of the bad guys I guess.

Posted Anna's Subaru for sale Thursday night, after taking pictures. Stuff like this just wears on me. Took most of the evening. Got immediate responses, despite needing a new transmission and catalytic converter and axle. Also burning oil and serious engine issues.
Woke up Friday morning and started negotiating. Made some final preparations and met a guy just after ten. He made an offer and I checked with another interested party. Sold it to a guy who's going to fix it and ship it halfway around the world to The Republic of Georgia.

Talked to A and M, then drove to Duluth to test drive a little Honda CR-Z two-seater hybrid. I enjoyed driving it. Not too low to the ground, as I had feared. But I wasn't in traffic. Hard to see out the back, which will probably be the reason I don't get one. It wasn't perfect of course, and never as nice or cheap as you'd like it to be. Note I didn't say I was going to buy one.
Stopped by two thrift stores and the bank, got gas, and picked up a pie to go from 1000 Degrees Pizza. All in the 95 degree heat. Was 3 pm before I got home. I was worn out.

RON CEY  [BR Bio] When Eric Karros set the Los Angeles Dodgers career home run record, it was Cey's record he broke. Karros had 270 as an L.A. Dodger, his 229th passed Cey's 228. This still the most by an L.A. Dodger. Cey was the Chicago Cub's team RBI leader on the only Cubs team that went to the postseason between 1946 and 1988. Had 97 RBI for CHC in 1984. He joined the same college fraternity that Lou Gehrig had joined. Gehrig and Cey were members of Phi Delta Theta, Gehrig at Columbia, Cey at Washington State.
Kicks # 43: my orange Nike KD7 35000 Degrees basketball shoes. Love these guys. No, I don't wear them that much, but I sure enjoy owning them. The only pair of shoes I keep in their original box, which is part of the reason why it's taken me so long to show them off here. I might've previously shared the story of how I was given these shoes. Right now I'll just say for daily readers like Don Head, it was from a guy I know with some serious sneaker connections, like KD himself (that's NBA star Kevin Durant). Just happened to see these same KD7s at a thrift store today, in different colors (which included grey and pink). I passed, since I already had a pair in a color I like. Wore these orange ones to a Clemson football game, and usually to at least one Braves game every year since I got them. Until this year, I guess. Note the matching KD socks, which came with shoes. The socks get worn more than the shoes.

No comments: