Friday, August 21, 2020

Oysters & Lobster Rolls

M worked his first shift at Beetlecat last night, and enjoyed it. Shucked oysters, and ate his first ever oyster (and his second). His boss made him try it. He also made the lobster rolls and manned the grill. Cooked one burger – he says the burgers are cooked on the same grill as the fish, so a little fish gets mixed in with the burger (same thing happens with French fries and hushpuppies cooked in the same grease as the fish. My allergies can usually tell). M also ate half a burger. He works 3 pm to closing tonight, Saturday, and Sunday. Friday was hopping, he said.
 
Matthew’s shifts run 6 or 7 hours, from 3 pm to when they close. I think they stop accepting customers at 9 pm but have to stay until the customers leave. He will still work at the farm on the weekdays he’s not working at Beetlecat.
 
The Peachtree Road Race switched from July 4 to Thanksgiving. Dozens still ran the course on July 4 – I should have. Now they cancelled the race on Thanksgiving. Hate that.
 
I just read an article about how the Packers first wore the G on their helmets for an August 5 intersquad scrimmage. Lombardi wanted the G in the shape of a football. In 1970 the G became more oval.  Plus, into the scrimmage a field goal was kicked by – Jim Taylor. I didn’t know he kicked. Other Packer kickers were Don Chandler, Paul Hornung, Jerry Kramer, and DB Willie Wood.
 
Last night when I woke up in the middle of the night I noticed Barney sleeping at the foot of the stairs, which is not uncommon. Later though he came upstairs, which is rare these days. Later I could tell he wanted to jump on the bad, which is not good considering his hurt back leg. But I got out of bed and pulled back the covers, and moved the pillows so he wouldn’t have as high to jump. He hopped up with no problem. Hope though that it doesn’t become a regular thing.
 
The Braves are celebrating Hank Aaron weekend this weekend, so I’m expecting them to be wearing their throwback feather uniforms (they didn’t wear them Friday night, darn it). Always a treat. I’m going to write the Braves to ask that they wear the royal blue tops for a change.
Which brings me to my third Braves gear post: my royal feather replica jersey and feather trucker cap. Bought the jersey off the clearance rack at Marshalls years ago. Kept the tag attached for years. Feathers are felt. I finally figured out what tattoo I’d get if I were to get one: the Braves feather.
 
I usually don’t talk about my bad habit of entering sweepstakes, but here’s a good’un: Grand prize: 2021 Ford Bronco & year’s supply of Mtn Dew. First prize: 4 day guided tour of the Grand Canyon. Second prize: trip to a NASCAR race. Third prize: fishing trip. Fourth prize: mountain bike. Fifth prize: kayak. Sixth prize: $500.00 Bass Pro gift certificate & fishing gear. Seventh prize: $50.00 Bass Pro gift certificate.
Psalms 62:5-8: "For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from him. He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken. On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God. "Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before him; God is a refuge for us".
Denison also shared a testimony from Henri Nouwen: "I know that true joy comes from letting God love me the way God wants, whether it is through illness or health, failure or success, poverty or wealth, rejection or praise. It is hard for me to say, 'I shall gratefully accept everything, Lord, that pleases you. Let your will be done.' But I know that when I truly believe my Father is pure love, it becomes increasingly possible to say these words from the heart." 
ROSS YOUNGS [SABR Bio] was the first player to get two hits in the same inning of World Series competition – in the 7th inning G 3 1921 WS. His Giants won the game and Series. The Giants were the first in modern times to play in the World Series in four straight years: 1921, 22, 23 & 24, winning the first two He was the first player in the Live Ball Era to hit three triples in a single game, on 11-May-1920.
Thursday night: spaghetti and meatballs again.
 
The Hawks didn’t do too well in the draft lottery tonight, I’m sensing. Based on the internet overreaction. They had the fourth best chance to get the top pick, but only wound up with the sixth pick. Not a tragedy. Sounds like they need to replace their good luck charm: owner actress Jamie Gertz.
Got a lot going on. (1) The new fridge comes next Tuesday. We thought it was gonna be today. Was on the phone an hour about that today. (2) Was on the phone an hour trying to buy a charger cord for my mom today. (3) Drove to Roswell tonight to work on another project. (4) Several tough goings on at work. Have been on the phone all week about that. (5) Had another project at home that had to be handled. Getting pulled in many different directions. Not going to be able to get everything done. People are going to be disappointed. Nothing I can do about it.

No comments: