Monday, February 22, 2021

Bugs on the Windshield

My boss had to step away from our conference call this morning. I discussed a quality problem. When we finished I confessed I was worried I would take up all the time when the boss was away. It reminded me of my fifth grade oral book report on Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. As I began the teacher had to leave the room. I went on and on, about how the kids had cleaned the bugs off the windshield after their drive. I hadn’t written the report, was just talking from memory. Eventually I wrapped it up. The teacher returned and asked who all she’d missed. Only me, my classmates tattled. “He was talking about cleaning bugs off the windshield!” Lisa Long complained. I learned a lesson that day that I would never forget.

My coworkers enjoyed the story. My boss had heard it, and said it was almost as good as the story I told about getting hit by a car in second grade.

Started a new book about the formation and history of Augusta National. At the formation meeting it was sportswriter Grantland Rice who suggested the club be run by Clifford Roberts and Bobby Jones, instead of committees (this may have been pre-arranged by Roberts). The founding members, brought in on a special train from New York, agreed. Before purchasing the nursery north of downtown Augusta, Jones and Roberts had considered locations in Cobb County. Construction of the course began in March. Seed was sown in May. Mowing began in June. Jones played the first round in August, shooting an even par 72. Years later when the 12th green was being renovated, an Indian burial ground was discovered. Roberts mother was related to Francis Scott Key.

Jones set the course record several times, but never during the tournament. Out of practice, Jones really didn’t want to play in the first few Masters. Roberts insisted, as the publicity was needed. By then Jones’ health was in decline. Perhaps embarrassed by all the members from New York, at first Jones didn’t invite many Atlantans.

Jones and Roberts earned millions as Coca Cola bottlers, opening plants around the world, particularly in South America. After a few years Robert Woodruff joined Augusta National, though he had little interest. General Eisenhauer loved Coke, and worked a deal for Woodruff to supply the military with millions of bottles. In return the military paid for construction of bottling plants all over Europe, which Woodruff would own. Woodruff helped groom Ike for the presidency, helping to arrange Ike’s job running Columbia Pictures, to get Hollywood on board. At first Woodruff didn’t know if Ike would run as a Democrat or Republican. Woodruff had always voted Democrat, but voted Republican for Ike. When Jones came off the green for the last time as an amateur, he handed his ball to Woodruff.


Drove back from Macon Friday night. Got home at 9:30. Rough week. The dog we were sitting took five minutes to warm up to me.

Saturday: cleaned some upstairs. C fixed a breakfast burrito. Later she went to the grocery. My new sneakers delivered, so I wore them the rest of the day. High-top running shoes. Did some laundry and cleaned the kitchen. Pizza for supper. Hallmark-type movie. Might’ve been Up TV. Then the award winning remake of Little Women.

Sunday: on line worship. Spent the day reading. I watched some of the golf, but missed the playoff.

Good thing you filled up with gas. Going to be over $3.00 per gallon by Memorial Day. A 33% increase. Can’t wait until Trump leaves office.

Jailed Canadian Pastor James Coates’s Lawyer interviewed: “Speak up, it’s not going to end.”

https://the-end-time.org/2021/02/19/jailed-canadian-pastor-james-coatess-lawyer-interviewed-speak-up-its-not-going-to-end/

No comments: