Saturday, February 27, 2021

Life Lessons From Steve Norman

When Will was young, we were eating over at the Norman's one night. Steve had six young kids running around. It was a madhouse. Things would break. Yet the atmosphere wasn't tense. Sitting there taking in all the chaos, I realized I didn't have to assign blame for every little thing that didn't go the way I wanted it to. Instead there could be love, compassion, teaching, and listening.  I think about that night quite often.

That night I learned everyone didn't grow up like me. Like my family members, my inclination was to attack. It's been a constant struggle to behave differently. If I want my children to continue to visit me as the years go by, I must love and accept, not criticize, blame, and tear down. I can't treat friends and coworkers one way (nice), and family members another (mean). Sometimes it's hard not to lower myself to the level of an attacker. I often fail. It's good to surround myself with good examples, and try to avoid negative people as much as possible. When I'm forced to, I try to communicate as clearly as possible, to do my best, and leave it at that.

Romans 12:18 says: If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take your own revenge, my friends, but leave room for the wrath of God. For it is written "Vengeance is mine, I will repay" says the Lord

Dad's in hospital with pneumonia. Today I learned my Aunt Martha is in home hospice with cancer. I lived with Martha my freshman year at Tech, in the basement of her house in Sandy Springs. Her husband, my Uncle John Wayt, was the outdoorsman cartoon character Mark Trail was modeled after. Uncle John helped found the Atlanta Steeplechase, which  used to be held on his Seven Branches farm in Roswell.  

Moxie Burger tonight, to split a chicken sandwich and fries.

Below: from the fifth floor of Coliseum Hospital you can see Fort Hawkins up the street. 

This week I saw the episode of Happy Days where the Fonz impersonated Elvis, singing Heartbreak Hotel. The Fonz brought along two friends as backup dancers - the first appearance of Laverne & Shirley. later I saw this photo of Tom Hanks on Happy Days. Evidently the Fonz won the fight.  
Columbia usually comes out with some sorry looking sneakers.
But these blue babies don't look too bad.
After rushing into my purchase of the high topped Puma RSX running shoes, I realized I hasn't considered other brands. Hoka makes a few pair of high tops, kinda off road trail sneakers. These were the best looking of the Hokas. Good looking, but kinda extreme. I like my Pumas.

No comments: