Thursday, May 18, 2023

Age of the Dollar Theater

Back in my single days there were several dollar movies around town. Gave us something to do together at nights and on weekends. The Buckhead Cinema & Drafthouse was a favorite. When Splash was at the dollar movie I saw that several times. It was right after Leah and I quit dating. One night I went to Toco Hills to see Splash by myself. As I was getting out of my car I grabbed a piece of paper and pen, and took notes during the movie. I about had that movie memorized.

Always remember seeing “Strange Brew” at North Springs with Don Head. The movie about Canadian hosers Bob and Doug MacKenzie. We went to the Garden Hills a few times, but don’t think it was ever a dollar theater. More artsy. The insides were old-timey. At the Buckhead Cinema you could order food and they had waitresses who would bring it to you. Plus “easy chairs” to sit in. Not my favorite seats.

The Whitakers took us to the Fox to see Gone With the Wind. It might’ve been the first time I ever saw that movie. I still remember where we sat.

When we moved out to East Cobb a dollar theater opened close to us. They were half price on Tuesday nights. I would sneak out and catch the late show. Sometimes several friends would join me. A good place to take the kids to see movies when they were young. They renovated that theater just before covid. When it opened it was more like a first run movie theater. I’ve only been to the movies once since covid. No desire to any more. At home I have Netflix and Amazon Prime and Hulu movies.

Wednesday: worked past 6 pm again. Finished a project. Drove home. C was cooking a Mexican dish. Meat, rice, beans all cooked together with chopped onions and peppers. Good.

Ceil turned on a movie she loved: “She’s the Man”, a 2006 teen movie. She laughed and laughed. Later she realized what she'd done. I did the dishes, took out the trash (and Winnie). Played on my laptop. Went to bed.

Wanted to play golf this morning but rain was in the forecast, so I lifted weights. Another new low weight this morning. 

REGGIE JACKSON [SABR Bio] has held the career record for strikeouts by a batter since passing Willie Stargell in 1982, with 2,597. At the end of the 2012 season, Thome had long passed Adam Dunn for second place and was within 54 of Jackson. Thome chose to retire. The record was once held by Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle. Jackson struck out more than 100 times per season in 18 of his 21 years in the majors. He was elected to the Hall of Fame on his first ballot. Jackson is the only batter Cesar Tovar ever struck out. On 22-Sep-1968, Twins manager Cal Ermer let Cesar Tovar play all nine positions in a single game, starting the game on the mound. Jackson was the second batter.

September 27 at the Fox. Maybe I'll go.

No comments: