Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Golf Balls

Tuesday: worked past 5:30. Stopped by Taco Bell and a thrift store on the way home. Senior discount day. They had one of those golf ball picker upper things, crammed with golf balls. Got it for a much cheaper price than I can usually get golf balls – less than a nickel a ball. Counted them: 57 Titleists plus 29 others. Went back today for the other picker upper, that had 52 balls, including 26 Titleists, six Callaways, and two Nikes.

I still have several old boxes of “new” golf balls. Or should I say “unplayed” balls. Saving them I guess for when I play somewhere “nice”. Some of the boxes are women’s balls. I’ve heard some “senior” men like to play women’s balls because they’ll travel further despite a slower swing, which is me. Not sure I can tell the difference. Years ago Candler Park had homeless men in the woods. Hit a ball in the woods and a guy would come out trying to sell me the ball I had just hit in there.

Supposedly you can buy a special ultraviolet l flashlight that makes golf balls glow in the dark, so you can search in the woods for lost balls at night. Since I usually tee off at sunrise, I could arrive early and find all those balls I’ve lost over the past two years.  

Played golf this morning. Teed off at 6:20 and could’ve gone off a few minutes earlier. Good shots and bad. Lost several balls playing alone, but found a couple more.

1. One of my tee shots stayed in the fairway. Another just off the fairway, further down. Hit two good approaches, one with the hybrid and another with my 8 iron.

2. Neither hybrid was good off the tee. Lost one. Two good chips. “Bogey”.

3. Hit 7 iron off tee. Low but rolled to the back fringe. Bogey.

4. First 7 iron low but rolled. Second drew left. Two good chips.

5. Hit two okay hybrids off the tee. Chipped a few that were okay. Made some good lag putts.

6. Didn’t hit my driver well, but it did go straight. Flubbed several fairway shots. Hit another into the woods. Finally hit a nice 9 iron to the back fringe. Then flubbed several putts.

7. Sliced my drive. Hit two good 5 irons. Flubbed several chips, and one that was good.

8. Hit two cruddy drives. Then hit two good wedges, both left of the hole. Good lag putt, and a tap in “par”.

9. Pulled a 3 wood left. After a flub I hit a wedge onto the green, a rare occurrence. Hit three putts on the sloping green, all close. “Bogey” Finished around 7:40.

At lunchtime I participated in a focus group sampling cheddar cheese. Ate eight small pieces of cheese. Got paid forty bucks. Nice work if you can get it.

Seems like lots of restaurants are using eggs on entrees more and more – in Mexican restaurants, on burgers, and breakfast places.

JIMMIE FOXX [SABR Bio] hit 30 home runs in 12 straight seasons, from 1929-1940 (only in 1931 did he hit only 30). This mark was bettered by Alex Rodriguez and Albert Pujols, who had 13 straight. He was the youngest player ever to play catcher in more than one major league game. On 26-May-1925, in his third major league game, Foxx replaced Bill Lamar but did not come to bat. He would not turn 18 until October of that year. He retired with the highest slugging career average for a right-handed batter. His .609 was eclipsed by Mule Suttles’ .620 when MLB finally recognized the legitimacy of the statistics of the Negro Leagues.

No comments: