Monday, May 27, 2024

Memorial Day

R.I.P. Bill Walton. As I recall, his coach was some former Purdue Boilermaker named John Wooden. I think he won a national title. Maybe six? Unlike so many centers, Walton hustled up and down the court, playing all out on both ends, with gusto.
As a kid I went to a few Mercer Bears games at the Macon Coliseum, including one against Jacksonville and Artis Gilmore. 
The first college game I remember watching on TV was the national championship  game when Walton went like 22-24 from the field. The dunk had been outlawed, so Walton would drop the ball into the basket without touching the rim.
I followed Walton's NBA career thanks to my Sports Illustrated subscription. Loved seeing his smile and arms raised high over his head in celebration (or on defense). Only MVP to also win the Top 6th Man Award. People were mentioning his great NBA career, leaving out all Walton accomplished in college. An all-time top 5 college player.
Stayed out on the beach Monday afternoon until almost 3 pm. Winnie was finally getting a little used to splashing around in the water. 

Came back and cleaned up. Spent almost an hour in a little bookstore while Ceil was looking for a book to read. I pointed her to some Charles Martin books. She got one, but it wasn't one of his novels. While I was waiting I scouted out several good books for me to read. The clerk was very knowledgeable, and mentioned how several writers had visited the store. One even included the bookstore in one of her novels. 

We ate at a crowded Mexican restaurant. Ceil cooks Mexican all the time but usually orders tacos at Taqueria and chalupas at other Mexican restaurants, so I was almost embarrassed when she asked the waitress what was in their burritos. 
One the way home we stopped by an old cemetery, with several Confederate soldiers buried there.

We stayed at the beach until 3 pm Sunday afternoon. Went back to check on Winnie, then drove around more before eating. Stopped by Food Lion for their version of Diet Mtn Dew. Not nearly as good as Kroger brand.
Gio's is a fancy Italian place, on the the main drag in Pawleys Island. Ceil had some sort of pasta. My lasagna was excellent. Also a small salad and warm bread. Ceil actually finished her glass of wine. I drank water. 

Back to the condo so C could watch When Calls the Heart and a Hallmark Channel movie. No WiFi, so I played on my phone instead of my laptop. Will make for a long week.
Monday: slept until 8 am. C fixed an eggy boy sandwich. Made it to the beach earlier than Sunday but still hard to find a parking place. Winnie came with us, and seemed to enjoy herself.
I finished the Yogi Berra book and started on an old Troy Soos baseball mystery "Hanging Curve", about a veteran utility infielder for the St Louis Browns in 1922. The KKK had hung a Negro pitcher for an East St Louis semi-pro team. The novel was written in 1999.
C is picking up more groceries from the Fresh Market. 

No comments: