Sunday, November 06, 2022

Irish Block Clemson's Playoff Hopes

Clemson was embarrassed by Notre Dame last night. The Catholics came into the game with a 5-3 record. The Irish were able to ground the ball down the field against the Tigers' vaunted defensive line. Dabo's fatal flaw is sticking too long with QB DJU - and not giving freshman Klubnik more playing time in the first eight games to better prepare him for the frying pan. But what do I know. The loss ends Clemson's faint hopes to make the playoff.

Every time the NBC announcers mentioned Clemson's defensive line the number of potential first round draft picks goes up. Last I heard they have more first round picks than there are actual first round draft picks.

Then LSU won a thriller in overtime over Alabama. Quite the  football Saturday.

My other friend Reid just got laid off from Turner, where he composed music for TBS, NBA on TNT, HBO, Turner Classic Movies, and other networks. Not completely unexpected. His boss broke down giving him the news, and Reid had to console him. Reid is a prayer warrior, and God answers his prayers. Reid has lots of contacts in the industry, and has won Emmys, so hopefully he can find work. I had just talked to him Thursday morning at the gym.

I’m not an expert about the unemployment situation, but so many businesses are needing workers – including my company and those we deal with. At one point people were saying the unemployment benefits paid out by the government were so good that there was no reason for people to seek work. Not sure if that’s still the case or not.

Other reasons so many businesses need workers: (1) many workers died during covid, (2) the work at many jobs is “too hard” that people today don’t want to work that hard, like on the tube mill at our plant. (3) People want to get paid big bucks for sitting around staring at their phones as opposed to actually thinking and actually doing work. (4) People are so apprehensive about the state of affairs in this country - their lack of a career, their lack of a future, their inability to afford rising housing costs – all this is affecting them mentally to the point they can hardly function, almost can’t perform at a job.

Sad times we live in. There is a pestilence on this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those of us who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress at this period in history.

Did you say shrubberies? Neh! Sorry, I went off on a Holy Grail rant.

Meanwhile us older people are used to pulling ourselves up by our bootstraps, and getting the job done regardless of hardships. Man but I can feel the hopelessness out there. Sometimes it can be a struggle for me. It is by the grace of God and my faith in Him that I am able and desire to work and glorify Him in all I do. Lessons that I’ve listened to and watched others in my life, that have taken years to sink in until I’m at the point where I can apply them to my life. To not blame others for where I am or my situation in life (like so many in these times do). It is my prayer that my kids will be able to learn and apply these same lessons.

Reminds me of a reply to my social media post about the Total QB Rating statistic, from a young man who refers to himself as “LOVE IN DEED” who said “It’s no way you just tried to argue a made up state smh”. I wanted to reply “Love indeed” (but didn’t). 

There is a Red Robin just south of Cumming on Peachtree Parkway. Also one in Lawrenceville I think. Of course not Ceil’s favorite. Burgers age good but not crazy about the taste of the bun, which seems to fall apart as I eat it. Also not a fan of the steak fries.

Ceil and I eat at nice restaurants and average nice restaurants. I eat at fast food places. I’ve noticed prices have gone up this year in particular. Man I am okay when a restaurant serves lots of food. Some fancy smancy places only have tiny portions. Not my favorite.

Pet peeve: when did it stop being "vegetables" and start being "veggies"? Man our country has gone downhill.

MANNY MACHADO  [B-R Bio] is the only Baltimore Oriole third baseman to hit more than 50 doubles in a season, with 51 in 2013, leading the AL. Machado had 37 doubles after 81 games, a pace that if maintained, would have sailed through the single season record of 67 set by Earl Webb in 1931. Wisdom has it that AL pitching coaches found holes in his swing in the second half. Including Manny, 12 players from the first round of his draft (including supplemental) have been All-Stars in the majors. There are also three MVPs, a pitcher whose SO/9 is the all-time best in history, a Home Run Derby champ, and a HR champ. Machado was drafted 3rd overall in 2010. Machado signed a 10-year, $300 million contract with SDP that began the 2019 season, the richest in the history of North American team sports at the time. 

Merry November 6th: Christmas came early for the birthday girl.

Tomorrow: more on restaurants, and more old man rants.

No comments: