Sunday, July 04, 2021

Down by the River

Took a two mile walk this evening down at Columns Road Park,
the Cochran Shoals trail section of the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area. There were still a few rafters drifting by.
Beaver dam?
Two miles was a bit much for Winnie, but she was a trooper.
Got to see several other dogs, and smell some new smells.
Winnie sleeps in our master bathroom. The door is open but we have a kiddie gate keeping her in there. If I get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom (down the hall), I have to be super quiet to not wake her up. For some reason lately I haven't had to make as many trips during the night. Not sure why, but I'll take it.

I have been going to bed earlier than C and Winnie, but Wednesday night Ceil went first. When I came upstairs I tried to be quiet, but C had left a paper bag full of yarn on my side of the bed. I was trying to move it in the dark, and I heard Winnie wanting in on the action. I patted her head and encouraged her to go back to sleep, When one of us get up in the morning, she's ready for us to get her and take her outside. Ceil has been doing the honors. Winnie keeps growing and growing.

While thinking about some of my struggles, I was reminded of the old Imperials song "Praise the Lord" that John used to sing…"When you're up against a struggle…" The Imperials were a four man singing group in the late 70's / early 80's. Seems to have made the transition from a Gaither-type singers to the Contemporary Christian genre, which was popular at the time. Good stuff. I might still have their albums.

Andy Stanley preaching on "division." I just heard a clip. He asked why we don't despise division as much as we despise people who don't vote like us" and "My past will remind me. It will not define me."

Denison: In Tish Harrison Warren's eloquent Liturgy of the Ordinary she describes God's work in the mundane: "The crucible of our formation is the monotony of our routines." She quotes a sign that hangs in the New Monastic Christian community house: "Everyone wants a revolution. No one wants to do the dishes." By staying empowered through prayer and other spiritual routines and available in the moment, we are ready for the opportunity when it comes.

ORLANDO CEPEDA  [SABR Bio] led the NL in home runs while Roger Maris was hitting sixty-one in the AL. Cepeda hit 46 HR for SFG in 1961. Orlando was the first player to lead the majors in RBI in a season playing for a team on the West Coast, with 142 RBI in 1961  He is one of only four players to win a Rookie of the Year Award unanimously and then win a league Most Valuable Player Award unanimously. Unanimous ROY 1958, unanimous MVP 1967. The other three are Frank Robinson (1956, 1966), Albert Pujols (2001, 2009), and Mike Trout (2012, 2014).

TOM SEAVER  [SABR Bio] his record for consecutive strikeouts was tied by Aaron Nola last Friday. Phillie Nola struck out 10 of his 12 strikeouts of Mets batters in succession, tying the record set by Mets pitcher Tom Seaver 22-Apr-1970. Seaver's were the last ten Padres of the game. He was the first Rookie of the Year to garner multiple Cy Young Awards. ROY in 1967; CYA in 1969, 1973 & 1975. The year he was elected to the Hall of Fame, only five voters left him off their ballots. Of the 430 HOF ballots voting, 425 or 98.84% had Seaver's name on them.

Crocs aren't good if a person isn't sure footed. I was wearing mine last night. Didn't sleep that great last night. Up three times. And I'm itching as well. Something on my hand. Been treating it with calamine lotion, and trying not to scratch.

Need any protein powder? Whole Foods gave Ceil two big boxes full. Different stuff. Some stuff can't be taken to Ceil's women's ministry. I was wondering what I would drink if I quit Kool-Ade and Coke, and God provided. Down three pounds due to all my recent activity.

Sad news about former UGA head coach Mark Richt, who appears to be facing his illness with courage.

No comments: