Thursday, July 08, 2021

The Match

Watched The Match: Mickleson Brady Bryson Rodgers. Good stuff, but it went on and on. Peyton Manning is more entertaining. Phil was explaining things that golfers don’t usually get to hear. Brady had a good comment on how being a late round draft pick still drives him to work hard. Phil mentioned how old guys like Brady working out motivated Phil to do the same.

Friday afternoon Ceil was concerned about not having anything to do over the weekend. She was able to fill it up nicely. Work had been slow and I’d gotten a decent amount done. Me and Winnie drove her down to Perimeter Mall and stayed in the car while she returned an item. Then Abernathy to Johnson Ferry to the East Cobb Target, then across the street to Whole Foods. Chicken salad for supper. I went to bed at ten.

Saturday I tried to rest after the race. C had gone for a walk with friends. She cleaned her office while I did laundry and dishes. Later I drove her and Winnie down to see Anna at Ansley Mall, then to Westside Provisions, then IKEA, then QT for gas, then supper at the Westside Taqueria. I ate just one taco. A long day.

Sunday: I hadn’t realized C had left for church. I’d slept late. No way I could’ve run the Peachtree again. C fixed a late lunch of burgers, squash, and kale. I skipped the bun and fries.

Later we took Winnie for a walk down by the river, off Columns Drive across from Sandy Springs. Walked two miles - a long way for young Winnie, but she was a trooper. She got to see several other dogs. I spotted a beaver dam just off the trail.

Back home, no supper since we ate lunch so late. Ceil turned on Hallmark Channel. Just as I was going to bed at 11 pm, Drew Kelly told me he’d seen me on the 11Alive Peachtree Road Race recap. I couldn’t find it on my phone, so I went back downstairs and found it on my laptop. Between watching that and the Max Fried game-winner, I stayed up past 1:30 am. Anna spent the day on the Hooch.

Stopped by El Porton on the way home Monday for takeout. Skipped the chips, which I usually eat a ton of. Crashed on the couch. Winnie was so tired she slept under the sofa.

When C asks what I want for supper, I always joke that I want hot dogs, because C likes to eat healthy. Tuesday she was headed to her women’s ministry. I usually have to fend for myself of Tuesday nights. But she mentioned that she had hot dogs in the fridge. She had gotten them as a special treat for Winnie.

Watched some of The Match. I went to bed at 10:30. Plugged my phone in on my nightstand, on the other side of my breathing machine, where the phone is out of my reach. C came to bed. Pretty sure I wore my mask for part of last night, not sure. Woke up a couple of times through the night for trips to the bathroom.

Then Wednesday morning I got a text from Anna, asking if I was okay. I wasn’t sure why she asked. She had received a call from me last night. I looked at my phone, and sure enough, I had called her at 12:18 am. I had no recollection of making the call.

Later in the night I dreamed about Joel Norman and his Bellwood Coffee. He had given me a white Christmas-themed Bellwood sweatshirt to wear.

Worked past 5:30 then drove straight home. Cleaned upstairs. Ceil had her last summer Bible Study. She had cooked black beans and rice. I saved that for lunch and ate a hot dog instead. Watched more of The Match, Holy Moly, and several episodes of Seinfeld, including The Summer of George, with guest stars young Amanda Peet, Raquel Welsh, and Molly Shannon. Went to bed at ten.

DENNIS ECKERSLEY [SABR Bio] threw 28-2/3 innings at the outset of his major league career before surrendering an earned run. He debuted on 12-Apr-1975; first earned run in the 5th inning 31-May-1975, a rookie record that still stands. He pitched in All-Star games in each of three decades, in 1977, 1982, 1988, 1990, 1991 & 1992. He was the last American Leaguer over 35 years old to win a Most Valuable Player Award, in 1992 at the age 37.

No comments: