Friday, November 10, 2023

River Kings

Young coworker Justin is wearing a limited-edition Grizzlies-themed RiverKings hockey jersey today. I made him stand up so I could take a picture. Justin is headed to Athens for tomorrow's game, as are coworker Ben, and A&C.

The RiverKings were a defunct semi-pro hockey team that were based south of Memphis. Right up there with the Atlanta Knights and Macon Whoopies.

Picks: of course I’ll blame work for my lack of attention on what’s happening in college football.

Michigan will barely beat the spread. Penn State loses again. And fans in Happy Valley thought they deserved an ESPN College GameDay appearance more so than #1 ranked UGA.

Heck I will say Missouri beats Tennessee by more than one point. Kinda want the Vols to win so they won’t be so angry / hungry when they play UGA next week.

Saw where Lang picked Arkansas to beat Auburn. Was he trying to appeal to the Razorback fans who follow him? And / or to pick at his Auburn followers. The question is whether Arkansas can get past their big win over Florida last week. I will say the Pigs beat the War Eagles by more than four.

Ceil has always like college football. Last Sunday afternoon she asked "aren't the Falcons playing?" Sundays nights are for the new episodes of Peyton's Places. On Mondays she wants to watch the Manningcast. She's even watching the Pat McAfee Show. Gotta get her watching The Odds Couple on Grind City Media.

Listen last week’s JFBC sermon here.

Rough week for me. A blur. At least the days go by quickly. Worked past 7 pm last night. C has been stuck at home all week, in bed or on the couch. She’s getting stir crazy.

On the way home I picked her up a chicken sandwich from Moxie Burger at the Roswell Square. Then I drove over to Whole Foods for her. I was still so full from lunch that I didn’t eat supper, just a few crackers with cheese. Was after 8:30 before I was able to plop down. Didn’t feel like firing up my laptop, and I forgot to post to my blog. Having to double up today.

Might be actually sleeping better in the tiny bed in the spare room. Winnie isn’t bothering me. Skipped the gym but didn’t get to work early today. Lunch is Jimmy Johns sandwiches. Might save that extra BBQ plate for tomorrow.

ROGER MARIS   [SABR Bio] was the last player to hit an inside-the-park home run and a grand slam in the same game. In the 3rd inning on 03-Aug-1958(1), Maris hit a IPHR off WSH’s Russ Kemmerer. Maris hit Kemmerer’s last pitch that day out of the park with three men on in the 6th. The double and triple he also hit in that game almost went ignored. Maris’ feat of four extra-base hits in one game for KCA was matched only by Gino Cimoli & Elmer Valo. Maris was the Yankees’ primary right-fielder between 1960-1964. Mickey Mantle lauded Maris by claiming, "Roger Maris was the best all-around baseball player I ever saw.  He was a Golden Glove right fielder with a howitzer arm and an extremely fast runner.” Cardinal teammate Orlando Cepeda had similar comments about Maris. Teammates who commented on his baseball talent include Mickey Mantle Orlando Cepeda, Minnie Minoso. Maris played for (not in thus order) NYY, STL, CLEL & KCA. Maris is a native of Hibbing, Minnesota. Bob Dylan (Rock and Roll HOF) & Kevin McHale (Basketball HOF) were also born there.

No comments: