Friday, June 04, 2021

Bird and Maravich

Remembering the sad and too-short Celtic stint of Pete Maravich. The Pistol could’ve contributed, but head coach Bill Fitch rode Pete so hard that Maravich decided to retire rather than sit on the bench and be Fitch’s whipping boy. That was the year Larry Bird won his first championship.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.celticsblog.com_2014_10_24_7056185_remembering-2Dthe-2Dsad-2Dand-2Dtoo-2Dshort-2Dceltic-2Dstint-2Dof-2Dpete-2Dmaravich&d=DwIFAg&c=UXihhqr7vvdA-hrKyTiC1Q&r=wMWwaEbn9nr4zXI4p6CDP7FGwn1DrBd77MJElrWsP6U&m=1B7r0s1vSgKtFNLQsr7zaZIcusWge5TOYHhm6E9MG-o&s=BEGHiv6GjC2y9RFjZkjzqkVXq265aeCOvnNwEYxTIGU&e=

The Hawks seem to be peaking at just the right time. Most everyone is healthy. Hate it for the Grizzlies.

Started reading Vince Dooley’s book about his 40 years at UGA. He had some nice things to say about Bobby Dodd and Bear Bryant. In his book Vince Dooley said Pepper Rodgers’ wishbone offense made UGA’s conservative offense look like a wide open passing attack in comparison. Also read the classic novel “The Outsiders” which had been made into a movie. Excellent.

Few athletes reach the point where they’re known by just their first name, like LeBron. The Manning family has four: Archie, Peyton, Eli, and Cooper. Young Arch will make five. More Manning: Peyton and Eli recently golfed with an old teammate. Both brothers wore the same belt – a Vineyard Vines belt with American flags. I HAVE THE SAME BELT!

There are certain sneaker styles I’m always on the lookout for. Should I come across the perfect pair, I kick myself if I don’t snap them up. I know them when I see them. Yesterday I found another perfect pair: adidas Lite Racers in blue. These come in all sorts of colors. I don’t need another black pair, or red or green. Sure don’t need grey or white. But I’m loving this blue pair. Now I have six nice pairs of adidas, and at least four pairs of Pumas.

I am not coordinated enough to walk and look at my cell phone, especially out on a street or sidewalk. I don’t want to walk or run wearing headphones or listening to my phone on speaker. I want to be able to hear approaching cars and dogs and other animals, and be watching out for cracks or uneven pieces of pavement. Don’t see why people would want to walk or run something like the Peachtree Road Race with headphones, blocking out half the experience – the sounds of the event.

It’s hard enough for me to run on a treadmill, and even harder to run on a treadmill while trying to listen to a book through earphones from my phone. To really exert myself during a run I need to be concentrating on my pace. I try to count off the seconds to myself, to make sure I’m running hard for so long before a resting period – then counting off the seconds of the resting period before taking off running hard again. Even harder to do all this while experiencing and enjoying everything around me, plus perhaps trying to listen to what God might be trying to tell me while my mind is relatively empty – thinking of a particular subject and meditating on it.

When the JFBC pastor was preaching on social media, he was really just talking about staring at your phone so much. He said it was appropriate (and it is) that every Sunday morning your phone alerts you exactly how much you look at your phone every day, and whether your screen time for the past week has gone up and down. We discussed the in Sunday School. I didn’t want to share what my screen time number was, though it includes reading the news, weather, work calls, work texts, communicating to friends and family via phone or text, driving directions to places, plus the books I read on my phone.

I hate to interrupt people. Meanwhile other people just interrupt interrupt interrupt. Our Sunday School class uses a thing called What’s App to share prayer requests, announcements, news, needs, etc. Mostly because this is how JFBC communicates to missionaries around the world. I added it to my phone and started getting notifications almost constantly. Which meant the notifications buzzed on my Apple Watch constantly. I get enough interruptions at work as it is. For salespeople they just talk talk talk and when they’re finished they just move on to the next thing. When I get a phone call or email or text it usually means a 15 – 45 minute research project. Lately I’ve getting over 300 emails a day. I have turned off as many notifications as possible, and my ringer is almost always on silent.

The interruptions thing reminds me of a story – in college I was working at a clothing store in Macon Mall, Anderson Little, over the Christmas holidays. I had a question to ask my assistant manager, a cool single guy who was talking to an attractive young lady. I didn’t want to interrupt, so I kept my distance. The assistant manager noticed that I was waiting on him, and gave me a little nod. I was in no hurry. I happened to be holding a small stapler, used to staple sale tags to pieces of clothing. I was playing with the stapler, and accidently shot a staple into my finger. I doubled over in pain. The assistant manager saw what I had done, and cracked up.

Albert Pujols has almost 700 home runs. He was so dominant for so long, but his body has pretty much given out. Does tons of charity work. Probably would’ve retired sooner, but he probably felt like he needed to live up to the terms of his contact.  Had many comparisons to the Cardinals other big star Stan Musial, who had the same number of hits at home as one the road, or something like that. Will be interesting to see if Pujols sets the record for highest percentage of hall of fame votes. Probably not.

Pujols was always deferring to Musial, never considering himself better than Stan – even pointing out Musial’s military service. Pujols said Stan was the Man. Pujols did not want the Angels calling him El Hombre.

https://www.espn.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/7602635/los-angeles-angels-albert-pujols-objects-team-el-hombre-billboards

When Musial died, Albert wrote: “To my dear friend Stan Musial, may you now find peace in the arms of your Savior, our Lord Jesus Christ.”

https://www.pujolsfamilyfoundation.org/event/stan-the-man/

Had another good week of deals.

spend.saved.date.place

01.50 04.00 5.28 Wendy’s

01.75 04.00 5.28 Circle K

01.50 04.00 6.01 Wendy’s

01.50 04.00 6.01 Wendy’s

01.50 04.00 6.02 Wendy’s

03.25 03.25 6.02 Taco Bell

00.00 02.50 6.02 Baskin Robbins

00.00 05.25 6.02 Circle K

06.00 60.00 6.02 sneakers

00.00 50.00 6.02 focus group

01.50 04.00 6.03 Wendy’s

00.00 03.50 6.03 RaceTrac

00.00 90.00 6.07 focus group

00.00 70.00 6.08 focus group

18.50 327.50 total

John Kincade is bringing in a younger demographic in Philadelphia.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__barrettsportsmedia.com_2021_05_26_john-2Dkincade-2D975-2Dthe-2Dfanatic_&d=DwICAg&c=UXihhqr7vvdA-hrKyTiC1Q&r=wMWwaEbn9nr4zXI4p6CDP7FGwn1DrBd77MJElrWsP6U&m=cZo0fwHpEhaKxyZ-hkPK4x_OvMK_04ANFBAehl6Z3Jc&s=DG-tGh_SGuhDwSCVqMm4cyGjBcGdChgqaqw9ZpWBIV8&e= 

CRAIG BIGGIO  [SABR Bio] led the National League five times in plate appearances. Led NL in PA in 1992, 95, 97-99. In 95 & 99 also led MLB. Played for the Seton Hall Pirates in college. He led the majors five times in being hit by a pitch. Is second all-time in career HBP with 285. Leader Jennings has 287. Biggio’s son Cavan plays for TOR. After his playing career, Biggio went into the hospitality industry. Biggio’s is a sports bar/restaurant located in Houston featuring baseball-themed Tex-Mex comfort food.

Shoes of the day: black suede adidas Campus, with white stripes and laces.

Friday cap of the day: black Macon Bacon. Matches my outfit. Rodney liked it, so I gave it to him.

No comments: