Thursday, July 21, 2022

Must Be the Shoes

Crazy morning. Decided to wear my rarely worn adidas Propheres to the gym this morning. Got to the gym a few minutes late because I put a tarp out behind the house where Ceil had raked all the leaves and pine straw off the dirt, since it was raining. Didn’t want more mud and erosion.

Had a decent workout, then left for work at 7:05. My car wouldn’t start. Called a tow truck. Called and texted Ceil to come pick me up. No answer. Had 1% battery on my phone. Called Matthew. Realized Ceil had her notifications turned off. She had probably left her phone downstairs. Called again. Called the house and let the phone ring. No answer. Finally after almost an hour Ceil called.

In the meantime my customer was shut down due to lack of parts. Parts I had asked our fabricator to ship, but they were behind. Luckily my customer’s forecast was wrong. So it wasn’t our “fault”. Still not much battery, but I called in to the 9 am conference call on the way to work. Right when it was my turn to speak was when I was in line for the Chickfila drive-through, so everyone on the call hear the lady say “here’s your chicken biscuit”.

When I arrived at work the rain was coming down in buckets. Got a little wet in the parking lot. So not the best morning. I think it was the shoes.

Conversely, yesterday was like Christmas. Worked until 5:30. Stopped by the bank on the way home. Ceil made chicken soup for supper, but I made BBQ quesadillas again.

My 75 quart Grizzly cooler had arrived, and it is huge. Need two people to carry it when it’s empty. Will be really heavy with ice and drinks. Kinda like a jacked up super duty pickup with a long bed and four doors – it’s too big. Then the hubcaps I had ordered arrived. But they were too small, and didn’t fit. Will send them back. I posed with the cooler like the famous photo of co-worker Ben. Forgot to put on my Crocs. Schuch loved it.

Watched the Netflix Korean series “Hometown Cha Cha Cha”. No subtitles but overdubbed in English. Thumbs down. The guy was good. I see how he was annoyed by the girl, so kept doing the wrong things: quite her job, was mean to her neighbor, lost her expensive shoes (that she shouldn’t have bought without a job). Flat tire. Hard to like the girl, she was so inept. I went to bed.

When I was in college I was home for the summer. I might’ve told you about this one. I had been talking to a girl earlier in the week about going to a movie that coming Saturday, but we’d never finalized our plans. Then a thunderstorm knocked out all the phones. I decided to drive over to her house unannounced. It wasn’t far, and I knew her whole family. We went to the movie.

On the way to the movies I exited the highway early to get gas. The last stretch to the station was up a hill, and I ran out of gas just before the station.

For the record, I haven’t run out of gas since college. Check that. I did run out of gas when I was in the singles department – on I-85 South between Shallowford and Chamblee Tucker late one night. I knew it was near the Head’s house on Dresden Drive, so I walked there and forced Don to get out of bed to rescue me. He wasn’t happy, and I didn’t blame him. I am internally grateful. Hope he has forgotten, but I never will.

Rush rush rush. Tuesday night it was so good to go home and crash. My slow driving keeps cars on my bumper.

Seems like movies used to be longer in the past – almost always over 2 hours. Nowadays some are only like 90-100 minutes.

Ozzie Smith and Johnny Bench still campaign for DAVE CONCEPCION  [Wiki Bio] to be inducted into the hall of fame. Ozzie admired a predisessor playing his same position and Bench knows how valuable teammate he was. Hall of Famers Pee Wee Reese, Luis Aparicio and Alan Trammell all have Similarity Scores in his Top Ten: Reese 847.3 (7th); Aparicio 844.6 (8th); Trammell 844.2 (9th). Concepcion was called the Magician by his close friends, actually “Mague” in Spanish, short for “Mago”, magician.

1 comment:

Don Head said...

You're right. Completely forgot about that!