Saturday, July 30, 2022

The Tree Man

I watched “The Tree Man” on Amazon Prime, about Allman Brothers pianist Chuck Leavell, who has played keyboards for the Rolling Stones since the 1980’s. He’s also played with Eric Clapton George Harrison, Julian Lennon, John Mayer, and other heavyweights in the industry. Leavell operates a pine tree farm south of Macon, and has been named Georgia farmer of the year.

I didn't have to look hard to find several pictures of my friend Tim Griggs with Leavell. Chuck often drops by Capricorn Records in downtown Macon, where Tim keeps his office.

Saturday morning golf. After losing so many balls on Tuesday, this morning was like Christmas.

1. Decent drive off tee. Found at least three balls  along the right side of the fairway. Made an okay chip as well.

2. Hit my 3 wood off the tee, straight but short. Didn't look great, but chipped it onto the green. And I found three more balls. Could've picked up a fourth, but didn't want to be greedy.

3. Poked my tee shot right, down near the fourth tee box. Found two balls as I tromped down the hill in the rough. My chip sailed left, but it made it between two trees back onto the fairway. Chipped onto the green.

4. Hit my hybrid off the tee to the left fringe. Found one ball behind the tee box, and another in the rough. Good chip onto the green, but the putting was hard on the wet greens.

5. Pounded my 3 wood off the tee, all the way to the green. Robert had hit his tee shot right, and I poked around in the rough looking for his ball. he finally found his ball, and I found two of my own. 

6. Hit a good drive off the forward tee, then a good 5 iron out of the rough. Skidded an 8 iron that rolled onto the green. Then three putted. There were three balls waiting for us on the green. I picked up two. That made 14 for the day. So far.

7. Sliced a drive up the hill, up under the next to last tree. Poked a 5 iron across the fairway, then lost a ball when my approach sailed left. My chip stayed right, and I never found it in the rough. Only 12 balls ahead now.

8. Hit a worm burned off the tee, but it got a good roll down the hill. Bad lie with the ball below my feet. Shouldn't have hit the hybrid. Flub. Seven iron stayed left. Good chip, then a three putt.   

9. Tee shot stayed right. Found one ball in the rough, but lost one in the woods. A typical round. At least my bag had more balls when I left. I finished plus twelve. A record?

Drove to WalMart to get a case for my phone. Decent selection. Happy with my choice. Felt like I should've worn a mask inside. Same at Dollar Tree across the parking lot. Then across Cobb Parkway to Central Thrift, which has replaced the Atlanta Union Mission Thrift Store. Cleaner and rows and rows of goods. Passed on a nice swimsuit, but nabbed an Avengers casual shirt. Sweet.

Later I drove Ceil to Dekalb Farmers Market. The sun came out full force, and the car overheated. Had to turn off the AC and limp some on surface streets with the windows down. July has been one car problem after another. Not fun.

Have you been watching the Derek Jeter series on ESPN+? I watched the new episode last night. Good stuff.

Friday: last day of the month at work. Lots to do. Ran my three miles before work. After work I made an appearance at the office gathering down the street at Medlock Tavern. VP Eric wanted to talk shop, and Braves replica rings. I grazed on the appitizers, but didn't stay for the main event: arm-wrestling. Home to watch Extraordinary Attorney Woo.   

KEN GRIFFEY, Jr.  [SABR Bio] began his unanimous MVP season hitting six home runs in his team's first seven games. AL MVP in 1997 with home runs on 01-Apr-, 04-Apr-, 05-Apr-, 06-Apr- and 08-pr-1997. Homered neither April 2 nor 7. He hit three HR in 41 G playing for CHW in 2008. Junior once knocked in eight runs in a single game, on 08-Jul-2000. His mother’s first name is Alberta, although she goes by Birdie.

Sunday's Braves' SGA for kids. I'll pass.

No comments: