Wednesday, June 22, 2022

The Spiller Magnolia

The “Spiller Magnolia” as it is known, is still there (actually two magnolias), behind the Home Depot across from the old Sears building (now known as Ponce City Market), on the bank alongside the old railroad tracks, which is now the eastside Atlanta Beltline - which runs from Krog Street Market past Ponce City Market, through Piedmont Park to Ansley Mall.

Back in the day the tree was in deep centerfield of Ponce de Leon Park, the home field of the Atlanta Crackers minor league baseball team. Only two players ever batted a ball into the tree: Babe Ruth in a spring training game, and young Cracker Eddie Mathews, who went on to a hall of fame career with the Boston, Milwaukee, and Atlanta Braves (the only Brave to play in all three cities).

There used to be a marker at the base of the tree, but the marker went missing years ago. The Atlanta chapter of the Society of Baseball Research (SABR) is named the Magnolia Chapter. They’re working with the state of Georgia to erect a historical marker at the tree. The Spiller Magnolia is named after one of the early owners of the Crackers team.

Trees Atlanta has taken cuttings from the tree and grown saplings, which are periodically offered to residents. These saplings have been planted in various spots around the city, including along the Atlanta Beltline. The first time Ceil and I walked the Beltline, I made sure to take pictures of the tree. Last year when I had driven Ceil down to shop at Ponce City Market, I drove across the street and behind the Home Depot to visit the tree.

I hate it that I have no memories of Ponce de Leon Park. Not sure that I ever attended a game there. A family member gave me a Crackers t-shirt, but it seems too politically incorrect to wear. I’ve considered buying a Crackers jersey or cap, but you only see old guys wearing crud like that.

I've written several posts about the magnolia, old Poncey, and the Crackers.


When the Braves moved to Atlanta, the Crackers moved to Richmond and later to Gwinnett, where they are now the Stripers. This April the Stripers wore Crackers uniforms in one game, and have the Crackers caps for sale at the team store. I need to get back over there to get one before they run out of my size (7-3/4 or 7-7/8). Because I need another cap.

Tuesday: Braves scored ten runs. Acuna homered. Olson hit two bombs. A good sign.

Monday the season ticket office was giving away a pile of “broken” Riley bobbles, no guarantee of condition. They handed me one with the corner of the box smashed. I opened the box and the bobble appears to be intact.

Speaking of Riley, I am thinking of ordering one of the Gwinnett Stripers jerseys with the fish on the sleeves, with RILEY 27 on the back. Thought about getting FRIED on the back, but he wore 33 at Gwinnett, not his Atlanta number 54. When I bought my home white Braves jersey I had wanted RILEY 27, but all they had in my size was DONALDSON 20. I’m going to block out the D_NA_D___ so it will read _O__L_SON.

Life can be such an obstacle course. Too much going on. Worked until almost six Tuesday evening. On the way home I stopped by two RaceTracs, another convenience store (poor planning), the post office, gas station, and High Country to exchange the shoes I’d received for Father’s Day. Didn’t get home until almost eight. Then I had to package a Murphy bobble I’d sold. Also cleared out 300 photos off my phone, and the auto backup started working again.

Up early to go to the gym, but I had an upset stomach so I got a late start. Backing out of the driveway I remembered my car needed power steering fluid. Added that and fuel injection cleaner. Ditched the gym and dressed for work, since I had to stop by the post office on the way to work. First post office didn’t have a working machine, though I had to wait in line to figure that out. Second PO wasn’t printing receipts, so I had to go back to the car to take a picture of the tracking number. Life sucks when you get old.

Still need a haircut, clean the house, deliver another bobble or two. Car needs an oil change, more power steering fluid, and a lightbulb changed. I need a nap as well.

AL LOPEZ  [SABR Bio] his record for most career games at catcher was broken by Bob Boone. Lopez had broken Gabby Hartnett’s mark of 1,793 and finished with 1,918. Boone finished with 2,225. Carlton Fisk passed Boone. The current record holder is Ivan Rodriguez with 2,427. Lopez worked with his parents in a cigar factory in his youth. He grew up in Tampa, Florida, often called “Cigar City”. One legend surrounding Lopez is that, once while at bat in a game, he called a balk so convincingly that it fooled the home plate umpire who let the runner on third walk home. Various versions exist, including this one.

Saw where Grizz Gaming won last night.

No comments: