Wednesday, June 15, 2022

They Call It the Streak

Braves hit five home runs last night, and something like 13 home runs in the past three games. They’re second in the majors in homers, behind the Yankees. Thirteen straight wins. Ten straight wins in DC. Could move into first place in the NL East tonight. The Mets are getting antsy, and it’s only the middle of June.

Umps working in the review center don’t want to make the umps on the field look bad, so they uphold incorrect calls. Makes the entire process a joke. Speaking of jokes, Angel Hernandez missed another call a couple of games ago as well.

LIV: it’s the blood money that gets me. Some are saying that younger baseball and football players make relatively less money until they establish themselves as good/great players, then they sign the big money contracts, which they get paid for later on in their careers whether they play at an elite level or not. But in golf you can win 5 majors and then slump, and you only earn your 20th place prize money. LIV is putting established golfers more in line with other established athletes, where they don’t have to grind every week in an effort to get paid. When the players are paid to play in events regardless of how they perform, that would be more of an exhibition than a tournament.

Monday morning I ran at the gym, then got home all sweaty. Removed the cushion from the wooden chair to work all day. Stayed home from the gym again this AM.

Worked until almost seven last night, at the office. Found a huge problem that I knew would take me hours to fix. Not part of my regular duties that I’m already backed up on. Made me so mad it was hard to get any work done, and I had a project I needed to get done while I was in the office. Took two hours, and it wasn’t part of my regular duties either. Killing me. I will probably be working on Saturday.

Finally down to ten emails in my in box, including three that I’m waiting on an order. Still have the projects to do. Today I ran out of a bread and butter item because I hadn’t had time to look at it.

I had slight headaches and slight body pains last week. Slightly scratchy throat. But last week I drank less caffeine, used muscles I usually don’t use, was on my feet and on ladders, and talked more than usual. I’ve had just a tiny amount of flem, which is more than usual. That’s what you came here to read, isn’t it?

BURLEIGH GRIMES  [SABR Bio] replaced Casey Stengel as the Dodgers’ manager. He managed Brooklyn from 1937-1938 with a record of 131-171. As a pitcher for Brooklyn, he got along so poorly with his Hall of Fame manager that to keep peace, notices of his starts were carried to him by a clubhouse attendant. Grimes and manager Wilbert Robinson did not see eye-to-eye on a number of issues. Managing in the AA International League, he first guided first the 1939 Montreal Royals, a Dodgers affiliate. In 1942-44, he was the manager of the Pirates’ AA team, the Toronto Maple Leafs, taking the league title in 1943. The Leafs were later members of the Browns’ new AAA International League entrée, also named the Leafs, by the time of Grimes’s time as their skipper in 1952-53.

Note: I'm not a member of the Society of American Baseball Research (SABR) but I subscribe to their daily trivia emails, from which I post some notable luminaries from baseball history.

Many of the photos I post here on my blog were saved on my phone to use on Twitter, mostly when replying to someone's tweet. Here are three from today, including tight ends Jim Mitchell and Jim Mackey.

No comments: