Thursday, September 23, 2021

Defensive Driving

I try to be a courteous driver, a defensive driver. I try to stay away from big 18 wheelers. I don’t like passing them. When I do pass one, I try to pass going up a hill when they’re going slower. Recently I was passing an 18 wheelers and the truck started drifting over into my lane. There was no reason for the truck to do this. I had to swerve and honk. Scary.

I try to look ahead for potential slowdowns and problems, and make sure to be in the correct lane well ahead of time before having to turn or exit. I also am on the lookout for crazy drivers approaching from ahead, behind, or on other roads. I love the MPG feature on cars, and drive slow and coast to maximize MPG. Pretty sure when I ride with someone instead of driving (rare for me) it seems like the driver is driving faster than I drive.

I also take routes that may be longer, but are less congested and safer. On the way to work I stick close to the river, crossing under GA 400 and avoiding Holcomb Bridge for as long as possible. Very scenic. Have to look out for deer and bicycles instead of cars. The 400/285 interchange is always gridlocked, so I avoid it whenever possible. I’ve started to take surface streets instead of interstates when I can, even when I drive the 40 miles out to see the Gwinnett Stripers.

Saturday morning after golf I got off the highway and proceeded to drive 35 miles on surface streets, from Delk Road west to the Cobb County Fairgrounds, then north, west of the Marietta Square past Kennesaw Mountain, then south on Cobb Parkway, then east through neighborhoods back home. Lots of two lane roads. Loved it.

I try to not make turns at Peachtree and Wesley. Years and years ago (long before my time) a portable, temporary one lane bridge was erected at the intersection. Do you remember that?

At work I try to set things up where no one has to hurry. When I hot order is pushed in it upsets everyone’s routines, and keeps them from their normal work. Messes up schedulers, the plant people, other people’s orders, the packers, the loaders, the fabricators. I try to get my orders processed well before they’re needed. Used to be I would have to plan a month ahead, but now with manpower shortages due to covid I have to order 2 or 3 months ahead, according to the item.

This way I never have to rush, and if an order is 2 or 3 weeks late (which they often are) it is still okay. I try to give our stampers and fabricators plenty of time to produce parts. Some departments never learn, and are constantly pushing hot orders in, asking if my orders can be pushed out. If I have to arrange a hot truck (which is several times a week) I make that call as soon as I learn one is needed. Some will wait several hours before making the call, forgetting time is needed to locate a truck and get it to the pickup site.

I’m terrible at putting things together. Ceil is better.

Not gonna get much work done on Saturday – the games are spaced out perfectly. At some point I need to cut the grass. 

0700 golf

0900 ESPN College GameDay

1200 UGA@Vandy

0330 Clemson@NCState

0730 UNC@GT

ROBIN YOUNT  [SABR Bio] is the only player to win his league’s MVP playing a middle-infield position and later win it playing the outfield: AL MVP in 1982 at SS; AL MVP in 1989 playing CF. In his only World Series, he hit .414 with an on-base percentage of .452, slugged .621, had eighteen total bases and an OPS of 1.072 and yet was not the MVP of that Fall Classic. Stats were for him on the losing side of the 1982 Series where MIL fell to STL. The Cards’ catcher Darrell Porter was voted MVP. (Porter slashed a rather pedestrian .286/.310/.464). Yount’s brother owns an unbreakable major league record. Larry Yount, a pitcher for the Astros, was announced as a relief pitcher entering the G to begin the ninth inning, but injured himself warming up. He left and never saw MLB action again.

Has the Deep State Already Broken Us?

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://stream.org/has-the-deep-state-already-broken-us/__;!!AE29DT8V!C8k4hPowATSGe9U35gzqNEph2WM7cyuun9wxxM8vvg45HdcFmMmA7vsb28KQyLdhVzU$

Guy at work wanted me to take pictures of the new floors.

No comments: