Monday, August 12, 2024

Burger Weekend

Friday: left work at 515. Cut the grass. Was dark by the time I finished. Watched a little of the Falcons game, and went to bed.

Saturday: up early to golf. As usual my playing partner was running late. Spent the time chipping balls on the practice green. Almost lost a ball in the high grass around the green. Teed off at 650 am. Only played one ball, with a few exceptions.

1. Decent drive off the tee. Flubbed a couple of shots. Finally flipped a chip onto the green. Two putt. Double.

2. Popped up my tee shot. Fairway shot to the fringe. Two putt. Bogey.

3. Hit two terrible 8 irons off the tee. Miraculously found both. Sailed my approach across the fairway into he left rough. Chipped was stopped by the high grass on the right fringe. Three putt. “Double”.

4. My tee shot was short and right. Chipped across to the left rough again. Decent chip out of the high grass. An okay long lag putt. Double. Poor Paul struggled all morning.

5. Hit a decent 6 iron off the tee, that stayed left. Couldn’t find it in the high grass. Decent chip onto the green. Two putt for “bogey”.

6. Didn’t see where my tee shot went, but it turned out to be great – past the 150 yard marker. Hit an okay fairway shot. Hit three wedges – two were long and low and rolled off the back of the green. Third stayed short of the green. Decent chip and two putt. “Double”.

7. First drive ricocheted off a tree. Mulligan missed the tree and continued into the adjacent fairway. Decent 5 iron up the hill. Chipped to the fringe. Three putt. “Double”.

8. A good drive off the tee. Hit two passable wedges, but both were short of the green. Found my wayward tee shot from the previous hole and decided to hit it – a beautiful shot onto the green. Sank the putt. “Birdie”.

9. Hit a pretty good tee shot, but they never go as far up the hill as they seem. My chip was low, and rolled to the back of the green. Tricky 48 foot downhill putt to the front of the green. My first attempt was decent – but it still rolled past the hole and off the front of the green. Flubbed a second attempt short and right. I had one more ball in my pocket, so I putted it – into the hole 48 feet away (I stepped it off). Shot of the day. Even hitting several shots, I don’t think I had ever “parred” that long uphill hole.

I have never broken 90 on a real golf course. Candler Park has five par 3 holes and four par 4s, so playing it twice would be a par 62. No par 5’s. I’m sure Lang’s course was like a par 72. Plus since I’m just trying to practice I will hit several shots from the same location. That’s why I say I made a “bogey” instead of making an actual bogey.

Stopped by RaceTrac and Goodwill on the way home. Lunch at Bad Daddy’s Burger Bar. A decent burger.

Cleaned up all afternoon. Had on the Olympics: modern pentathlon and the men’s basketball final. Set up the new gas grill that Ceil had bought. Ceil baked another pie.

Matthew was first to arrive, then A&C, then Will (from work), followed closely by MC and the girls. Caleb grilled the burgers while Will, Millie, and I supervised. A great spread: corn on the cob, tossed salad, grilled potatoes, apple pie, and ice cream. Burgers under the foil.

The girls took turns on the “balance beam” – a rolled up area rug.

Millie has learned how to make a cute face.

We had a great time. After they left I promptly fell asleep on the couch. Woke up and went to bed at 11 pm.

Sunday School with at least 29 in attendance. Call it 30. Then worship. Stopped by Publix and Sprouts on the way home. Earlier Ceil had made us eggyboys.

Ate two leftover burgers for lunch, and later one for supper – sandwiched by leftover apple pie and ice cream. Stayed plopped on the couch all afternoon. Did some laundry. Watched the closing ceremony, then some Cowboys@Rams and Bears@Bills. Stetson threw 4 interceptions, then threw the game-winning TD pass.

Ate the last piece of apple pie this morning before heading to the gym. Tonight Ceil had a zoom call, so I cashed in my birthday burger at Red Robin - with refills on fries and root beer float. Great service.

DENISON: a society as secularized as ours should not be shocked by the mental health crisis our teenagers are experiencing, a worsening epidemic of distress tied to political turmoil and social isolation. Or by our declining birth rate due in large part to a loss of meaning, prompting many young adults to forego childbearing. Tom Cruise does "jaw-dropping" stunts at closing ceremonies (denisonforum.org)

No comments: