Friday, August 16, 2024

Rush Hour Blues

Man no way I could commute from where Will lives. The interstates are so crowded. Numbskulls cutting in and weaving back and forth. All the gridlock. Especially hard in the dark.

 

Thursday: left work at 415. Peachtree Industrial south to 285 east to 85 south. Then trying to exit onto the Buford Highway Connector. Got stuck behind a Hertz truck that let car after car cut in front of them – at least ten cars. South to Spring Street then right on 17th through Atlantic Station. Left on Northside behind Tech, then right on Bankhead and left on Lowery to MLK to Will's house. Stressful the entire way. "Only" took an hour & 15 minutes. My normal commute may take 50 minutes, but a good portion is on quiet 2 lane streets next to the river, shaded by trees.    

The girls had a better day. Ceil fixed macaroni & cheese and chicken strips. Also grilled okra and squash. Got them to bed by 745 and crashed on the couch. Took an Advil before bed. Slept pretty good.

 

Got to sleep an extra 30 minutes this morning, and still made it to the golf course before sunrise. Teed off at 6:35. Played terrible. Georgia State professor GT caught up with me on the 4th hole, so I didn't play as many balls after that. Leaving out the many poor shots, here are some of the highlights…

1. Decent drive off the tee. Flubbed several fairways shots, but one was decent. Made three passable chips onto the green. Two putt for a "bogey".

2. Two flops, but one okay 6 iron off the tee, to the left rough. From the deep grass I chipped two balls off the back of the green. Two putt for a "double".

3. Lost one long and left, flopped one right, and hit a worm burner that got a good roll. Chipped three balls – two rolled off the left side of the green, and one to the back fringe. Two passable chips. Two putts. "Double".

4. Two terrible tee shots, and a third not far down the fairway. Hit my pitching wedge too well, and it bounced off the back of the green. Two chips and two putts for a "triple".

5. Hit one way right, then pulled a mulligan left. Dropped a ball and hit another good wedge onto the fringe, just off the green. Two putt for "bogey".

6. Hit a good hybrid off the tee that drew left. Not quite enough distance to clear the brush on the left side. Sit a terrible mulligan and played it. One bad shot after another, before getting decent distance with a 5 iron. Poked two good low approaches under the tree branch to the fringe. Chip and two putt for a "snowman".

7. Hit two drives that sailed right. Played both. Decent 3 iron that rolled to the top of the hill. Hit a low 6 that got a better roll. Then I hit a great 7 iron onto the green. Shot of the day. But I three putted. "Double".

8. Hit a decent drive. Decent wedge to the fringe. Decent chip. Two putt for a nice bogey.

9. Hit two good 3 woods off the tee, but both stayed right. One was playable. Chipped one that bounced off the left side of the green. Chip and two putt for a closing "double".

Was almost 8:30 by the time I was pulling out of the Candler parking lot. Heard a crunch when I pulled out, like I ran over a big stick. But I kept hearing a flop flop flop like there was something in my tire. Stopped and found a screw jutting in the tire at an angle. Great. I knew there is a Goodyear place in downtown Decatur, so I headed there. Took forever to drive the short distance due to slow cars, and then I took a wrong turn. Long wait at Goodyear, and since I hadn't lost any tire pressure I decided to head to a tire place near work.

 

Decided to stay off the interstate just in case. Since I was on Clairmont I only had to make one turn. Drove all the way to Peachtree Industrial in Brookhaven  / Chamblee, then right on Peachtree Industrial. Stopped at two RaceTracs, one for a free brownie, and at my regular RaceTrac where they know me, for my free drink. The thumping had long stopped, and I still hadn't lost any air, so I just came on into the office.  

A&C having a great time in Germany.

No comments: