Monday, January 22, 2024

Football Beat

We watched most of both NFL games. Ceil was rooting for Baker Mayfield and Patrick Mahomes. Silently I wanted the Lions and Bills to win. She wanted CJ Stroud and the Texans to win (so did I). Not sure she had an opinion on Packers @ 49ers. Neither did I. This week I’ll want the Lions and Chiefs to win. I really caring who wins. I like the teams with the best-looking uniforms.

My friend Shawn works at Fellowship Christian School in Roswell, the offshoot of Fellowship Christian Church. Last week UGA head coach Kirby Smart visited the school, recruiting a junior offensive lineman. This week Florida’s head coach will be arriving at the school via helicopter.

SportsBetting AG lists the Braves as favorites to win the 2024 World Series.

FanGraphs.com ranks the Braves starting rotation as the best in baseball: Fried, Strider, Sale, Morton, and Elder. If any falter, there are several other strong candidates waiting in the wings…Ian Anderson, Waldrop, Smith Shawver, Ynoa, etc.

FanDuel ranks Ronald Acuna as the favorite to win NL MVP.

Saturday after Ohio State upset Iowa, Buckeye students rushed the court. One student accidentally blind-sided Hawkeye All-American Caitlin Clark, knocking her to the court and knocking the wind out of her.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39356881/iowa-caitlin-clark-colliding-buckeyes-fan-kind-scary__;!!AE29DT8V!S0MV-upvcwNwDAGAa7xf2bN7hVCCMdl-Vd7_1PWU4rs4VHm0JmWMk2e0LqZf1WdY24gxkA38k4paMmkMDBs$

FREDDIE FREEMAN  [B-R Bio] played on the Canadian National Team. Both of Freeman’s parents are Canadian. He has spent quite a lot of time in Canada throughout his life. Many of his relatives and much of his heritage is there. One of his minor league stops was in Pearl, MS. He is one of the few people who has lived in Mississauga and Mississippi. He played on the Canadian National Baseball Team in 2017 &  2023. He has led the National League in doubles four times, three of those also leading the majors. His 23 in 2020; his 47 in 2022: and his 59 in 2023 were MLB bests. He also led the NL in doubles with his 44 in 2018. Gold Glove winner in 2019, Freeman won twice the Wilson Defensive Player of the Year Award.

I try to check myself about complaining about something that  99.9% of other people would love to have. In my neighborhood the rental house next door does no yardwork, while on the other side and across the street a lawn service comes. I have three friends with yard services, but me and my other friend Reid do our own yardwork. My goal for 2024 is to clear our the ivy area in my front yard, and cut back a bush / tree that’s grown too large.   

Behind our house is a steep hill down to a creek. Can be very pretty, almost like the view from a mountain cabin. Can only see houses behind us in wintertime. I try to keep the woods down to the creek clear of fallen branches, briars, etc, so the view will remain nice. But the older I get, the harder it is. One time I fell and wound up with my legs up higher than my head. When I pushed down with my arms to get to my feet, the soft branches under me would crack, I was stuck. I would’ve panicked, but I was laughing too hard. Eventually I was able to get up.

Another time I was pulling ivy off a tree truck. I lost my balance on the hill and slammed my forehead into the tree trunk, drawing blood. Almost a concussion. I’m getting too old for this stuff !! But when I retire I plan on clearing out the ivy and debris in the back. Bushes are no fun. Sorry I am not younger. Around Thanksgiving I finally trimmed the line of bushes in our front yard. Trimmed them way back.

Ceil has been baking oatmeal raisin cookies lately. 

When we woke up on Sunday morning the cold water wasn’t running. Line must’ve been frozen. Finally started back running after a couple of hours.

I slept pretty good last night. We were dog-sitting Goose this weekend. Winnie is so jealous of Goose that I just slept downstairs on the couch, with Goose in the crate so she wouldn’t crawl all over on me. A&C were returning late last night from a long day trip to Savannah. Anna suggested Ceil meet her this morning to drop off Goose, which would’ve meant another night on the couch for me. So at 9:45 last night I drove Goose down to Peachtree Hills. I knew I’d miss my bedtime but sleeping in my bed without two dogs running around (or one downstairs whimpering) was worth it. Got to bed a little late, but slept good. Lifted weights at the gym this morning.

No comments: