Tuesday, January 09, 2024

Joan Is Okay

Finished the novel “Joan IS OK” about a hardworking Chinese-American doctor working in a NYC hospital. Started the novel “Leave The World Behind” by Rumaan Alam, which was the basis for the disturbing Netflix movie produced by Baraak and Michele Obama. Not sure why I am reading it, except hopefully to get a deeper understanding of the thought process.

Doesn’t matter if I’m not hurrying / driving slow – it doesn’t matter how safe I drive when others drive recklessly.   I’m not in a hurry, but what bothers me about traffic are the people who unexpectedly change lanes and me off, or those ahead of me that slam on their brakes for no reason. I try to be a defensive driver, a courteous driver, but some cars come up from behind and tailgate me for no reason. Cars pulling out from side streets in front of me.

Man once I get on 400 north I am okay, but getting over to 400 on Holcomb Bridge is such a chore for me. So glad I can avoid highways on my daily commute. I have starting taking 400 south in the early morning when I play golf on Saturdays. Its got so when I drive west on highway 120 from my house near the Fulton County line to the 120 loop, I hit every red light. Also lots of lights and curves and hills to take the other route – south on Johnson Ferry across the river then Riverside to 285.

Cars wanting to turn left. Not following rules. Ceil probably thinks I am crazy always ready to hit the brakes, but she’d rather me drive so she can stare at her phone.

On cold mornings after my hot shower I pull on my socks and shoes, and sometimes can feel pain in my back. Yesterday morning I felt something pull, but felt like I could still walk the nine holes and hit a bunch of balls – 2 or 3 for every shot. Didn’t feel great all day. Last night C asked if my back was hurting, which she rarely does. I could have a hernia that needs attention, though it hadn’t bothered me for weeks / months. Might be acting up a little. So this morning I didn’t really want to left weights or run, so I went to the gym and walked for 30 minutes.

Did Pashal’s use to advertise in the Braves and Falcons scorebooks back in the 1970’s ? That’s where I think I remember them from.

I worked past 6 pm last night. Four others were staying later. Usually I work through lunch. Ceil had fixed chili. Watched the pregame and the football game into the third quarter before going to bed.

You know Jim Harbaugh is driven. Perhaps he does want to go to the NFL to win a Super Bowl. He’d want to be in the NFC since his brother coaches in the AFC. I just don’t see him picking the Falcons. But he would be my top pick. Longshot I'm sure.

The Washington QB was playing hurt late in the game, when there was no hope. He’s supposedly an accurate passer. I’m probably wrong, but not sure how all those darts he throws will translate to the NFL. Not sure which QB the Falcons should get. Not him. Not Caleb Williams. Not Justin Fields. Not Russell Wilson. Maybe Daniels from LSU.

One early top 25 rankings for the 2024 season has Georgia Tech at number 25, behid #1 UGA.

Back was hurting so I skipped the gym. Not a fun drive to work in the rain. Half my team laid out today during weather, though three people made it in to our office from Chicago to help us with our problems. I try to show my appreciation when people go so far out of their way to help me.

News: last night I bought tickets to the June 7th Rolling Stones concert at Mercedes Benz Stadium. I’ve never seen them. Might take Matthew, unless you want to go. Upper deck nosebleed seats.

"It Was the Worst Thing I'd Ever Seen": The Oral History of 50 Cent’s Disastrous First Pitch.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.gq.com/story/50-cent-first-pitch-oral-history__;!!AE29DT8V!SD_wnLmtdFUVwCisMc6DJsFiPypalXmIuw557UBwMQV-VWzZjYBqYL54OpYDhw1paINHFvP-By_OfEfHAeM$

No comments: