Tuesday, January 30, 2024

GT Baseball

Georgia Tech baseball players of note. I made up this list almost 6 years ago, but don't think I ever published it.

Red Barron

Mike Bell Braves

Jung Keun Bong Braves

Brannon Bonifay

Cam Bonifay: also kicked. Pirates GM.

Darren Bragg

Kevin Brown

Andy Bruce 91 ACC POY

Bruce Chen Braves

Bobby Dews: also played basketball.

Nomar Garciapara

Ty Griffin

Joe Guyon CFHOF PFHOF

Jim Hearn

John Heisman 1904-1917 163-97-5 .627

Riccardo Ingram

Marty Marion SS

Deck McGuire ACC POY

Matt Murton

Micah Owings (above)

Jay Payton

Mark Pisciotta E Cobb LL

Deandre Smelter

Mark Teixeira 3B ACC POY

Bob Tillman Braves

Jason Varitek C ACC POY

Matt Wieters

Kyle Wren

Whitlow Wyatt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Georgia_Institute_of_Technology_athletes#Baseball

UGA baseball players of note: Alex Wood, Buck Belue, Jeff Pyburn

BILL TERRY [SABR Bio] was the last National Leaguer to hit .400 for a season. Terry hit .401 in 1930 for the New York Giants. On 24-Jan-1934, Terry was preparing for the upcoming season, having played and managed the Giants to a World Series title the prior season. A reporter asked him how he thought the Dodgers might fare in the upcoming campaign. Terry, full of a champ's swagger, didn't take much time to come back with, "Brooklyn? Are they still in the league?" Get the full story here. He finished exactly third in league MVP voting three seasons in a row, in 1929, 1930 and 1931 despite leading all NL players in WAR in each of those last two seasons: 7.9 in 1930 and 6.6 in 1931.

Monday: worked until almost 6 pm. As I pull out of the parking lot I never creep all the way down the steep drive to get too close to busy Peachtree Industrial. So many cars zooming by. Then a cowoker (not sure who) zooms past me. They can't go either. Guess they were more important than me!

Ceil fixed grits and eggs and toasted sourdough. Third straight night I didn't feel like getting out my laptop.

I do feel a little better today, but only slightly. Got a little bit of a cough. Achy joints don't ache quite as bad. Not sure if my potential hernia is getting worse, and if that's contributing to my overall sickness. Could be the flu, could be pneumonia. Been trying to sleep on my back with my head and shoulders elevated. Had a hard time getting any sleep last night. But I feel tons better today. Except for the cough.

Work is busy. Didn't work this past weekend. Lots to do. Wasn't looking forward to this afternoon's conference call about "errors". Of course we're making errors when we don't know what we're doing !! No one interested in helping out, or checking to see what's going on. Just suck up an hour of time that several overworked newbies can't spare so some bigwig's little corner of the world stays tidy. Then questions from auditors about stuff that happened a month ago. I get blamed, though I didn't make the mistake.

No comments: