Thursday, September 05, 2024

Ludacris In More Ways Than One

Last night Ludacris threw out the first pitch before the Braves game, wearing some huge Nikes that he is known for wearing in concerts. Evidently a movie prop company made the for him, as well as the extra large hands he wore. No big deal, but my reply Tweet to the Braves with Lang tagged has received almost 700 views, above average for me.

 

Every morning on the way to work I pull into RaceTrac on Peachtree Industrial to get my free Diet Mtn Dew. The four regular cashiers there know me, and we exchange greetings. This morning I wasn't thinking. I noticed the current price of gas at the RaceTrac ($2.969, up 12 cents form yesterday). As I approached the RaceTrac I considered getting gas, but my tank was still over half full. Gas there is cheapest on Wednesdays, and would be even higher on Friday and Monday. Then I realized I had forgotten to stop for my drink. I was able to make a right at the light and pull in to RaceTrac using the side entrance. Decided to go ahead and top off on gas as well.   

 

Good read on the Winder shooting from Denison this morning: "…I know God did not cause this tragedy—the shooter horrifically misused his free will to commit the atrocity…a tragedy like this is actually a reason to trust God more, not less. It is a reason to draw closer to him in prayer rather than turning from him in anger..."


School shooting at Georgia high school kills four (denisonforum.org)


People are crossing out "thoughts & prayers" and instead saying "policy & change". What about enforcing the gun laws already in place? Perhaps the very change that needs to happen is people turning back to God. There were far fewer shootings before cell phones and social media became so prevalent.  Plus last year the FBI investigated the shooter for making online threats to commit a school shooting – but did nothing to stop him. Maybe that's the policy that needs to change, ya think?

Apalachee High School is adjacent to a day care center where my coworker's grandson was. His daughter said that media trucks blocked the entrance to the day care center. Reporters refused to move to allow frantic parents to get to their children, even after the lockdown was lifted. The coach who was killed had taught last year at the school in Lawrenceville where my team member's daughter Destiny attends. This morning Destiny didn't want to go to school.  

 

JUAN MARICHAL [SABR Bio] took a no-hitter into the 8th inning in his major league debut, on 19-Jul-1960, in the 48th game ever played at Candlestick Park. Clay Dalrymple got the lone Phillies hit with 2 outs in the 8th. Marichal pitched for Boston in 1974. He had six seasons with 20 wins, and won 25 or more three times. His record is here. In his 16-year career, he not only never won a Cy Young Award, he received a total of exactly one vote - and that was after his Hall of Fame credentials were well established. Marichal received the singular CYA vote that placed him tied for 8th place, on the 1971 ballot.

No comments: