Thursday, October 08, 2020

Braves: On to the NLCS

The Braves swept the Marlins, winning the NLDS and now await the winner of the Dodgers/Padres series. 

Above: my view of the game, at work.
Will watched the game with the Norman brothers.
The pitching staff hurled four shutouts in five games, and lowered their playoff ERA to 1.000.
Will thought the plate umpire looked like me. Probably does.
Did I say I was busy at work? Got home from the office around 3:30, turned on the Braves, and got back to work. Kept cranking until C had supper ready at eight. Taco salad. Did the dishes and went to gas up the car. By 9:30 I was back at work, and stayed there until after midnight. Making a little progress.

Barney is a little better, but not much. He ate a little today. The bloodwork didn't show anything bad.

Also last night: I went out the back to pull the recycle dumpster to the front. But as I rounded the dark side of the house and turned the corner, the dumpster turned over. No problem, I thought, I'll just pick it up. But before I could the dumpster started rolling down the hill - and kept tumbling all the way down to the creek. I'll have to go down and drag it back up the hill. What a week.

Then today I started working at home before realizing Ceil was off from school this week. I drove to the office to work. For the playoffs the TV monitors get tuned to the Braves. Most of the afternoon I was too busy to watch. Worked until 5:30.

LOU GEHRIG [SABR Bio] was the first American League player to hit four home runs in a single game. Gehrig hit four homers in the game on 03-Jun-1932.  Two players in the 19th century did it, but Lou was the first in baseball's modern era (1901- ).  It has been tied 15 times since. Four years earlier, he had set the modern record for most home runs in a single World Series. In NYY's four-game sweep of STL in the 1928 WS, Gehrig went deep 4 times. Once each in games 2 & 4, then 2 times in game 3.  His accomplishment was overshadowed however, when Babe Ruth homered 3 times in the final game to set a WS record, that wasn't tied until Reggie Jackson did it in the 1977 WS. Albert Pujols and Pablo Sandoval have done it since.

For the 1928 Series, Ruth hit .625 with a 2.022 OPS while Gehrig hit .545 with a 2.433 OPS. After Gehrig failed a screen test to play Tarzan, he starred in a movie whose tagline reads "Idol of baseball trades his bat for a gat!" Gehrig's agent Christy Walsh pushed hard for Lou to get the role as Tarzan, but despite definitely looking the part, another actor was cast.  IMDb has the tagline for the movie "Rawhide" in which Gehrig played himself.  "Gat" was a popular slang term for a pistol.

Captain Who, Alex Hawkins.

Will enjoys camping.
So does Okie.

No comments: