Wednesday, October 07, 2020

NLDS: Braves Win Again

 

Monday night Barney came upstairs to sleep with us. In the middle of the night he started throwing up. Tuesday morning we didn’t feed him, then later we fed him some plain rice. Sure enough, he threw it up. We didn’t feed him any more until late this afternoon, just before C took him to the vet. Barney threw up at the vet. Doc gave Barney a shot and took some blood. Vet wants to take x-rays to check on Barney’s heavy breathing. Not good.  

Crazy busy at work. Several really big problems I am working to resolve. Monday I worked until, six, then drove over to church for small group. Me and three other guys, spaced out in a large room. Stopped by Kroger on the way home.

Yesterday I worked eleven hours, past 7 pm. Needed to finish three projects but halfway through project one I discovered a huge problem. Sent an email, and that got the ball rolling. I had to work on the problem an hour last night, then with lots of help the problem was pretty much headed toward resolution by this morning.

After talking to my dad, Matthew and his roommate arrived around 7:45. Loaded up his car with a table and more of his stuff. After he left I did some more cleaning up, and then it was 9 pm.

Started work at 7:30 this morning here at home. With the purchasing problem still in play, I knew it would be good to be in the office. I drove Ceil to school, stopped by Chickfila and RaceTrac, and spent 40 minutes of my commute on work calls. Here are the larger than normal problems I’m trying to work through.

1. Mobile machine isn’t working, so I’ve had to farm out work to three vendors.

2. Ran low on the high-use item.

3. One vendor hadn’t run a part we needed, so we’re hoping another vendor can bail us out real quick.

4. Problems with a Conyers part. Discovered the extent of this problem this morning, and had to react quickly – but since I hadn’t finished three other projects, my info to resolve the problem was sketchy. Got two different plants running hot orders in an effort to get the problem resolved tomorrow.

Left the office at 2:15 to pick up C from school. Enjoying Grisham’s Camino Winds. Back home working, with the Braves on the radio.

ROGERS HORNSBY [SABR Bio] led the league in the slash-line percentage categories—batting average, OBP and slugging percentage—six years in a row. Hornsby had black ink in these three categories, as well as OPS of course, from 1920 to 1925. During those years, he also led the league in hits four times, doubles four times, triples once, homers twice, RBIs four times, and total bases five times. Hornsby spent six times as many years as a player-manager than he did as a manager. Spent 12 seasons as a player-manager for the Cards, Giants, Braves, Cubs and Browns, and two seasons as just a manager for the Browns and Reds. 

He was imputed by Hollywood to have insulted Jimmy Dugan. In the film “A League of Their Own”, during the “No crying in baseball” speech, the Rockford Peaches’ manager Jimmy Dugan (played by Tom Hanks) says, “Rogers Hornsby was my manager, and he called me a talking pile of pig shit.  And that was when my parents drove all the way down from Michigan to see me play the game!  And did I cry?  No!  And do you know why?  [Awkward pause]  Because there's no crying in baseball!” 

No comments: