Thursday, October 01, 2020

On to the NLDS

I turned on the game, but where I work at the kitchen table does not have a view of the TV. I listened to the game and caught glimpses of the action. Spent a decent amount of time outside on the phone, including during some of the more critical sequences. The pressure seemed to build and build. I hope the batters aren't changing their approach at the plate for the playoffs, trying harder to hit home runs. ARod talked about that during the game.

Nice to have Culbertson and Pache on the playoff roster. Both made appearances in game one. Heavyweight newcomer Pablo Sandoval is also on the postseason roster. Not sure how well he hit at Gwinnett this past month, but the Giants had released him because of his struggles at the plate.


All those scoreless innings just added to the drama and pressure. Hated to see all the strikeouts. Also all the talk about the lack of sacrifice bunts. Not sure the Braves had one all year? ARod was calling for a sac bunt, but he never made one in his entire career. Seems like some big slugger attempted to bunt, and the media all got onto him about it.

I thought about taking my laptop and working from outside Truist Park this afternoon, with all the Braves fans during the game. But I won't. When I went over to the Battery a few weeks ago to watch the Braves game, I thought about taking my scorebook to keep score.
If the NBA is fixed, why are the Heat in the Finals? You'd think it would be the Bucks instead. Can't have the Celtics/Lakers every year.

News: you'll be happy to know I won lunch at Shane's Rib Shack, just down the road from my office. Saw their contest on Instagram and signed up a few weeks ago. A couple of days ago I was unfollowing several businesses that I'd followed for their contests, but decided to keep following Shane's. Sweet.

Shortly after 5 pm yesterday I went outside and cut the grass. Took over an hour, and the shadows were long, and did the dishes. Both M and C made trips to the grocery. I finished listening to "Where the Crawdads Sing" while M cooked a late supper – a spicy chicken in tomato dish. He topped his with hot peppers.

I got woken up at 6:10 am this morning for a work call. Worked from home again today and probably tomorrow, so this past Monday was the only day I went to the office this week.

Tech doesn't play this weekend. After last week everyone will pick Auburn to beat UGA, but I'm not so sure. Auburn struggled to beat Kentucky, and UGA's defense is much better than the Wildcats. Expect the Bulldog offense to improve this week as well. Says here the Dawgs will win.

ALBERT PUJOLS [SABR Bio] - his record for the most home runs in the month of April was tied by Alex Rodriguez 2007. Pujols hit 14 HR in April of 2006. In 2019, both Cody Bellinger and Christian Yelich each totaled 14 HR by the end of April, but each had hit four in March. Pujols is the only National Leaguer to amass more than 250 RBI in his first two seasons in the majors - 130 RBI in 2001 + 127 in 2002. It wasn't until his eleventh season in the majors that he had fewer than 100 RBI in a year. That year he had 99 - 2001-2010 100+ RBI each, averaging 123, plus the 99 RBI in 2011.

No comments: