Thursday, November 11, 2021

Basketball Begins

Are you watching college basketball yet? I watched a little of the GT game last night. First half but they blew a big lead. Dumb fouls and lots of turnovers. Stepping out of bounds. These guys have been playing basketball all their lives, and they play so sloppy.

Wednesday night Reid and Edie met Miss Prissy at the Atlanta International School (formerly North Fulton High) to watch Prissy’s granddaughter play – coached by her father Mark Tunnell. Wild that Reid went back to the same gym he had been in 70 years ago. I remember watching Lang play there back in the late 80’s. Those are the type things that I think about when I go someplace, or when I drive past. Interesting bio on Mark Tunnell, with photos of his family. His wife also works at Darlington.

https://www.darlingtonschool.org/AboutDarlington/FacultyDetail/55111

When two private schools play each other, one program might be much better than the other. When Will played for the home school team against small private schools and other home school teams, some opponents were terrible, but a few recruited and were much better. Both basketball and baseball. Will’s basketball coach was good about trying to not run up the score on really weak teams, letting younger players get a rare start and most of the playing time.

I had a crazy Tuesday morning. Got dressed in the Denmark High shirt I wanted to wear to the Hot Stove meeting. Made it to work and realized the meeting wasn’t until Wednesday night.

On the way to work Tuesday morning I stopped by the Wendy’s drive thru for their dollar bacon egg and cheese biscuits. Ordered then realized I didn’t know where my wallet was. Called Ceil and she couldn’t find it. I was halfway to work but I started back home (because I needed my wallet for my Wednesday night meetings). Pulled over in a parking lot and found my wallet in my backpack, where I rarely put it. Drove thru Wendy’s again, and was ten minutes late for work.

Left work Tuesday at 5:15. Traffic bad. Ate at Smokehouse Burgers and Bones in The Avenue East Cobb. A good burger and fries.

Wednesday morning I stopped by Wendy’s and ordered a bacon egg & cheese biscuit. Pulled out and was driving down the road. Unwrapped the doughy biscuit and it was sausage not bacon. I don’t like sausage. Bleh.

After work Wednesday I had a 6 pm focus group. Then I hustled up 400 past Cumming for the first Hot Stove meeting of the season.

The birthday cake that M made was so good that later he baked the rest of the batter into cupcakes. The icing was good as well.  I had bought vanilla ice cream for C’s birthday but I was the only one to eat it, with cake and crumpled up leftover Butterfinger bars from Halloween.

Steve Martin remains 'sentimental' as 'L.A. Story' turns thirty.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/story/2021-11-09/steve-martin-l-a-story-turns-30__;!!AE29DT8V!CIzkZhU1vkyl83XIKKwntbBldeKeumidxuFYZIcM-HM9E8kbm37MITepD2oqfi9e8po$

A good story from my friend Dave Travis, comparing the Braves World Series success to the local church.

https://churchleaderinsider.substack.com/p/seven-secrets-to-the-atlanta-braves?r=1wy6a&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web&utm_source&fbclid=IwAR09GJhYktMMauP9HvcGmkAHtMlUOFNyNZjHWpXzXNjazR9o3WME4NL3zWw

CARLTON FISK [SABR Bio] played slightly more than 18,500 innings at catcher in the major leagues. Six more runs batted in would have him on top of the career RBI list for catchers (minimum 85% games at catcher), with 1,330 career RBI, Fisk lines up very close behind Mike Piazza (1,335) and the other Pudge (1,332). After making the All-Star team nine times, Fisk was almost traded to the Yankees to be their full-time designated hitter. Negotiations for a trade for Fisk’s services between CHW & NYY, in exchange for former MVP Don Baylor, ended in a stalemateFisk ended his career nine years later still with the Pale Hose and still catching.

Denison: I remember a speech Colin Powell gave years ago, focusing on the importance of humility. General Powell observed that great leaders treat people well whom they don’t have to treat well. This is an old but true maxim, one especially urgent in a materialistic secular culture. I watched him model this attribute. When Powell took the stage, he thanked by name the staff member who introduced him. He was the only speaker on the program who did this. He also thanked by name other staff members who had helped him with transportation and logistics. He took questions from the audience, asking each person their name, then responding to them by name. He was the only speaker in the daylong session to do these things.

A CEO disclosed his unusual hiring practice: whenever a prospective employee came for an interview, he arranged for this person to wait in his outer office for ten to fifteen minutes past their appointment time. Then, after their interview, he asked his administrative assistant how the person treated her. He felt he could learn far more about the applicant this way than from what he or she said during the interview.

No comments: