Tuesday, November 23, 2021

How William Andrews Compares

Saw a comparison of William Andrews to Walter Payton. Between 1979 and 1983 they had just about the same number of yards from scrimmage as well as touchdowns, slightly more than Herschel in his first five NFL seasons. There were other five year periods when Payton was much more productive.

But Herschel’s three USFL seasons and his first two NFL seasons were the most productive five seasons in football history.

.yards.TD.years

08384 40 79-83 Andrews

08286 40 79-83 Payton

09347 58 77-81 Payton

08350 63 75-79 Payton’s 1st 5 yrs

07622 47 86-90 Herschel NFL

10226 83 83-87 Herschel USFL & NFL

I left work early on Friday, but it turned out to be a dud. Drove downtown to play golf. Traffic bad, but went a cool way from Cheshire Bridge to Lindbergh to Clifton Road, through Emory and across Ponce to Candler Park. Decided to not play due to the crowd. Drove up North to the Varsity for a chocolate shake, then home.

Saturday morning I went back to play golf in the 38 degree cold. Wasn’t bad. Then home to take Ceil’s car for an oil change. Should’ve gotten a haircut but didn’t want to wait. UGA wasn’t on TV, so I watched WakeForest@Clemson and GT@NotreDame. Later Arkansas@Alabama.

Anna drove up to go shopping with Ceil. While they were gone I noticed how caked on the dirt was on A’s car roof, so I washed and waxed it (for those of you asking why - that’s what parents do). Both A and M ate dinner with us – Mexican.

Sunday School and worship. One of the newbies in our class works for Coke. Later I raked leaves. Watched the end of the Redskins win over the Panthers. Nice to see guys like Taylor Heinicke and Carolina’s Christian McCaffrey playing so hard, wanting to win so bad.

A Lifetime movie was playing on the TV. A couple was slow dancing in a romantic setting, but the song that was playing was Silent Night, the “sleep in heavenly peace” part. Kinda weird.

Monday afternoon C went grocery shopping for Thanksgiving. She was late getting supper ready. When I got home I ate a couple of chips, not many. Then I had a little piece of Italian bread. Matthew had baked himself a Trader Joes organic gluten free frozen pizza, which is rare for him. Ceil told me to eat a slice, so I did. Then after 8 pm Ceil and I ate a light supper of BBQ chicken, green beans, and stewed potatoes. Afterward I did the dishes, then went to do some laundry.

Denison: Magic Johnson contracted HIV thirty years ago. He recently marked the anniversary of his diagnosis by stating, "I thank the Lord for keeping me, giving me strength, and guiding me for sixty-two years but especially the last thirty." Now an outspoken Christian, Johnson stepped down as president of basketball operations for the Lakers in 2019 so he and his wife could devote more time to their church. "It's truly a blessing when you know what direction you're going in," he said.

No comments: