Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Sports Center

If Jalen Hurts wins the Heisman this year, Tua will transfer to Oklahoma for his senior year. Kelly Bryant is kicking himself for not transferring to Oklahoma. If Tua wins the 2020 Heisman, then Justin Fields will transfer to Oklahoma for his senior year. Then Tua’s younger brother will transfer to Oklahoma. And so on. You heard it here first.
 
Back after the Braves lost game on of the NLDS my coworker moved the lucky Braves baseball sitting on my desk. When the Cards scored 13 runs in the first inning of game five I took drastic measures, stashing the ball in my desk drawer and getting out my Vince Dooley autographed mini-football for the fall. I think UGA was also relying on that baseball for luck, because that football sure didn’t do any wonders on Saturday.
 
As always, the polls really aren’t needed this early in the season, since so much of the playoff picture will take shape out on the field. With Oklahoma, Clemson, and Ohio State unchallenged and undefeated, this year the SEC champion will be the only team from the conference to advance to the playoff. Bama, LSU, Auburn, Florida, and UGA all have to play each other.
 
For UGA, beating Florida and Auburn and advancing to the championship game looks farfetched. The Gators appear to have leapfrogged the Dawgs thanks to head coach Dan Mullen, who many consider the second best head coach in the SEC. The winner of LSU/Alabama will be the national champion. Both UGA and Clemson have taken a step back. That said, UGA still deserves to be ahead of Notre Dame in the polls.  
 
At Carolina Will Muschamp went from the hot seat to coaching genius in a few short weeks, while all the couch experts are Monday morning quarterbacking what Kirby should’ve done. The Dawgs could win out and make the playoff, but that’s not going to happen.  
 
The good news from Saturday’s loss to South Carolina: QB Jake Fromm will return for his senior year. You heard it here first.
 
Not sure how good Duke is, but Virginia and Miami sure looked beatable last Friday night. Too bad GT couldn’t get on a roll. If Paul Johnson was still at Tech they’d win the division championship. Look for the Tar Heels to advance to the ACC Championship Game – and get handled easily by Clemson.
 
Interesting that last year’s wunderkind dual-threat freshman QB at UNC is now playing middle linebacker for the Heels – because he didn’t want to play QB any more. Not sure if he made the decision before or after the top QB recruit signed on.     

I started reading The Tattooist of Auschwitz yesterday. Real good so far. I saw where Connie Morris had read it. I’ve got four books checked out, which is too many. Whenever I hear of a good book I try to get on the waiting list at the library. Now three all came available at one time. I put some Kristin Hannah books on my reading list.
 
After work Tuesday I had a focus group about the chemical industry. Was hearing some crazy answers from people, how they know they’re getting reliable information. One person answered “celebrities.” They showed ten one-minute videos, and after each one we’d discuss what we liked/disliked. The first two were really bad, then got better. After a couple I exclaimed “I think I could do a better job writing these videos.” After that the moderator and several others kept saying “Let’s let Dave do it.” At the beginning there were a wide range of opinions. Most distrusted government and industry, citing erroneous information that hadn’t even been mentioned in the discussion. I tried to take the industry side. By the end most people were liking what they were hearing, which is probably what the industry was shooting for.
 
The group didn’t let out until 9:30. Came home and watched Fresh Off the Boat. Then a sitcom called Speechless came on, about a crazy family with a smart disabled high school sophomore who has to use a computer to communicate. Stars Minnie Driver as the mom.

My office has a week of volunteering coming up again this October, downtown at the Atlanta Food Bank. I signed up again, and have been assigned to go with general manager Eric, warehouse manager Jhannio, and administrative assistant Renee. Should be fun.
 
Wednesday night at Johnson Ferry I attended a lecture entitled “Science, the Soul, and near-Death Experiences: A Christian Perspective.” I know you can’t wait for me to post those notes.   
 
Been dealing with a guy at a company in Gainesville GA for several years. Just learned he passed away over the weekend. Never knew he was the brother of a former longtime coworker of mine.
 
Another coworker’s son was involved in an accident over the weekend, and is going okay but in Grady Hospital. A teenage girl died in the accident.
 
My niece Victoria graduated from Clemson and is looking for a job in Charlotte. I’m trying to get her an interview with my company.
 
We had our wedding rehearsal in Lancaster SC, a good 26 miles / 35 minutes from Jefferson where we got married.

No comments: