Wednesday, October 09, 2019

Matthew's Birthday

Monday: arrived at Taqueria just before the rush. Was getting out of the car right when Molina had hit the sac fly to win the game. I got two different pork tacos. Both loaded with pork and very good. One was the Memphis. Ceil ordered one taco and rice. Anna two tacos. Matthew got a plate with fish. Christian also ordered a plate. M and A got margaritas and Christian a beer. We also got the three salsas and cheese dip. 
 
Met George last night at Taqueria, and had a nice chat. His face lit up when I told him I knew the Whitakers. He said “You know I wouldn’t even be at SPdL if it wasn’t for them!” He said he had looked for them after church on Sunday, but y’all had zipped off already.
 
Afterward we drove over to Westside Provisions for Jeni’s ice cream. M had a school project so he went to study. Was late when we got back so I went to bed. W&MC had commitments and couldn’t join us. Ceil had made a cheesecake from scratch but we didn’t get to eat it yet.
 
On the way from Taqueria to Westside I took Cheshire Bridge to get on 75 south. I was in the right turn lane. A car in the left lane (without its lights on) cut right without using a blinker, almost crashing into me. I had to slam on my brakes, so M almost ran into me. Then the no light car zipped ahead, ran a yellow light, and drove away. I was stuck at the light. Fun.
 
Ceil was at her Tuesday ministry. I worked until 5:45. Dropped off items at Goodwill. Got home to find M cooking supper for he and Anna and me – chicken lettuce wraps with grilled cauliflower and pineapple in a sauce. For his birthday M had gotten two frying pans and other cooking items, which he used.
 
While waiting for M to cook, I went upstairs to change clothes. My whole body wasn’t feeling good: head, joints, chest, etc. Laid down on my bed and closed my eyes until Anna called me for supper. My knees have been hurting ever since it cooled off. Back hurts as well, either from cutting the grass on Sunday or from sitting on the couch watching football. Head hurts as well.
 
Watched The Neighborhood, but when Ceil came home we watched it again. Later turned on Rays/Astros and some college football shows.
 
Today I’m wearing the same outfit I wore last Friday when the Braves won game two – same socks and shoes and belt as well. On the way home I’ll stop for gas and maybe ice cream. Anything can happen in a deciding game.
 
Chipper called out fans complaining about the Braves. He’s right, its easy to second-guess while sitting on the couch, as opposed to digging into the batter’s box to face 100 mph heat. Freddie’s elbow may be hurting, he may be in a slump. But he’s not making excuses. Who would you replace him with? Would be nice to have Culbertson and Camargo coming off the bench, and maybe Inciarte instead of Billy Hamilton. Most of the Cards big hits were just dinks down the line or just over the head of a fielder.
 
The big story may be: will Max Fried pitch on Yom Kippur? Max says Sandy Koufax was his hero growing up, why he wore number 32 in high school, etc.   
 
GREG MADDUX [SABR Bio] was the first pitcher to win the Cy Young Award in four consecutive seasons - CYA in 1992 w/CHC; in 93, 94 & 95 w/ATL, the last two being unanimous. He finished in the top five in Cy Young Award voting an additional five times. Finished 2nd in 1997; 3rd in 1989 & 2000; 4th in 1998 (tied); 5th in 1996 (3-way tie). He won the Gold Glove Award 18 times. First GG in 1990; final one in 2008. Also had the most sacrifice bunts for any right-handed pitcher in history, second all-time.
 
Year / Cy Young Finish
1989 3rd
1992 1st
1993 1st
1994 1st
1995 1st
1996 5th
1997 2nd
1998 4th
2000 3rd

No comments: