Thursday, October 17, 2019

Goodreads

Do you keep a list of all the books you read? I like www.Goodreads.com Whenever someone recommends a book I can flag it on Goodreads, and I can mark which books I've already read, and separate them into categories: sports, presidents, history, Christianity, fiction, etc. So far I've read 445 books. Others on Goodreads include Connie Morris, Catherine Norman, Cindy Pitts, Frank Tait, and Kimberly Kitchens Johnson.  

Since I'm gone from the house from 6:30 am to 7 pm I have so little time around the house. That makes it hard for me to spend much time there reading. Listening to books in the car during my 2 hour daily commute really makes the best use of my time. Not many places have a wide selection of audiobooks besides libraries and Cracker Barrell. But now I can download them onto my phone and play them in the car. High tech for me. Need to figure out how to play them through the car speakers.

I have lots of books that I treasure. I've bought books on Amazon. It's fun to shop for books there. I quit browsing the book section at thrift stores because it takes so much time. Once I found an autographed Yogi Berra book. I keep reminding myself to look for Jimmy Carter and other Presidential books to see if any are autographed.

In Athens Anna and Christian discovered Half Price Books. That's their go to place. W&MC were able to finally unpack all their books a couple of weeks ago when they moved into their house. M likes the old used bookstore that's near the corner of Clairmont and Buford Highway. Ceil seems to be ordering a book from Amazon almost every week.

The 630 am – 7 pm includes commute time. Actually I've been working fewer hours this year since overtime was cut back. Been dragging in at 8 and trying to leave by 530. Eat lunch at my desk so I can read while I eat. Its been busy lately and I haven't been doing too much extra besides emailing you. Haven't been able to get to a few other extra projects I've had in mind. Yesterday I did write a letter of recommendation for my niece. But for the most part, work is just steady. I keep moving the pile. Gets frustrating when I get hit with too many requests for help from other locations, which cuts into my real job.

If needed the hours can be flexible for doctor visits or family matters. Since everyone on the team has their own duties I try to not abuse the privilege. Some people are leaving early several times every week or working from home more often than not. Family certainly comes first but a little consideration for coworkers also needs to be taken into account.

I might join into interesting conversations about sports, TV, or other subjects, but try not to bore too many coworkers with recounts of everything I do (except you!). I try to do my work for the Lord, not man. I'm sure the coworkers right next to me get tired of some repeat stories and dad jokes.  

I'll try to go to the Cheatham funeral Sunday afternoon, and maybe sing in the choir if it's not jammed . Sunday night I have a church committee meeting.

Left work about 545 Wednesday. Stopped by Taco Bell, Goodwill, and Baskin Robbins before arriving at Johnson Ferry. Interesting lecture. M and C had eaten at Taqueria. Anna came home from work, and later Christian came by.

TONY PEREZ  [SABR Bio] is nicknamed "Doggie" - he has also been called "Big Dog" or "Big Doggie". He was originally nicknamed "Tany" by his family. Born Atanasio Perez in 1942 in Cuba, his mother lovingly dubbed him "Tany". He left Cuba as a lanky 17-year-old in March 1960 and it was during spring training in Florida that he became "Tony" Perez. Coaches and teammates didn't take the time to learn the correct pronunciation of his Latino name, using instead the Anglicized version, calling him "Tony" instead of "Tany". "The Cuban Comet" was his boyhood idol. The great Minnie Minoso from Havana made his major league debut with the Cleveland Indians on 19‑April‑1949, about a month before Tany Perez turned seven years old. Tany and his father would listen to games together on the radio, thrilled by the exploits of their countryman. Perez fondly remembered him as one of his first heroes, saying, "Everybody wanted to be like Minnie Minoso."

No comments: