Thursday, April 28, 2022

The Game-Winner

Instead of cable, we stream Hulu/Netflix/Amazon/YouTube/etc. using our wi-fi. Sometimes a show will stop while the internet buffers. Probably need a wi-fi booster, a subject I have zero interest in becoming expert about (so don’t bring it up).

Got home from the Braves game Tuesday night and flipped on Memphis/Minnesota. The Grizzlies were down eleven. Immediately they closed the gap and took the lead. Ceil was shouting at the TV, rooting for Memphis. The Wolves kept hitting threes, and retook the lead. As the seconds ticked down Ja drove the lane, extending his arm to take the crucial shot.

Just then our TV froze. For a good 30 seconds Ja’s arm remained extended. Either he made the game-winning basket, or they were headed to overtime. What happened I will never know.

Here’s the video clip of Kitti Murray on The Kelly Clarkson Show.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://youtu.be/9zrM1JHOhjc__;!!AE29DT8V!RqAPCLrSvjzKCSc1-ishecJW0t8rshtlZRG144q9DESe2vTk5DWpxF8DhhpQAoxPiVhj2p4we6CWelkzil4$

Gym Fashions: while lifting weights recently I spent time pondering on what us East Cobbers wear to the gym. Most stick to plain, dark colors. Mostly black. Perhaps a Nike or Under Armour logo. A few college t-shirts, some from nearby Pope High School. Teenage boys in black Nikes, the girls in white adidas. Too many grownups wearing outlet store bought Asics running shoes. As I’ve said, I try to wear a different pair of sneakers every time. Usually a Grizzlies or Hawks or Oglethorpe or Braves t-shirt. If I wear all black or all navy, I might wear an interesting pair of Stance socks.

Besides me there is one other guy (much younger, but not a kid) who puts on even more of a show. I’ve seen him wearing two different NBA jerseys (Bulls and Hawks). A bright pair of Nikes. Last time in knee high compression socks. Really puts on a show. Makes me want to dial back my outfits.

Seinfeld: I used to have a coworker who would always greet me like Jerry greeted Newman. He was shorter and stockier, so I considered him to be the Newman of us two. Just realized he might’ve considered me to be the Newman. I gotta track him down and sock him in the face.

Wednesday: worked past 6 pm. Got stuff done but not the project I need to. Today I got a bunch of month end stuff as well as my usual stuff so it was be a long day.

C baked a chicken for supper. Also potato wedges and green beans. Watched a new show: Papi’s Places, where David Ortiz does what Peyton Manning does for pro football (and Eli for college football). It was better than I expected.

Ran my four miles this morning. My fastest four miles yet. It’s not that I’m going for speed. I’m just trying to run more and walk less. The walk/run intervals are supposed to be more healthy than just plodding along at a slower pace. At some point I need to get out and run hills.

I read Lang’s new article, of course on the day I ate a big lunch. I need to do better on my diet. Right now I’m stuck at about 17 pounds lost. Today I skipped on tiramisu.

ARTICLE: I would not normally share an article on wokeness, but this one traces it back to the root causes.

https://amgreatness.com/2022/04/16/the-pathological-nature-of-wokeness/?fbclid=IwAR299OgvMCAof9E2OaEMY9KpieDQPsAg4Z5vZwnPy39WFA6eMV43iRN_TPo

DON SUTTON  [SABR Bio] his league-leading 2.20 ERA one season didn’t even merit a single vote for the Cy Young Award or for MVP. Hiis win/loss record of 13-5 wasn’t as impressive in 1980 as Felix Hernandez’ 13-12 was 30 years later. Sutton’s 0.989 WHIP led both leagues that year. In more than 1,500 plate appearances in the majors, he never hit a home run and only had one triple. He had 1,559 plate appearances and 1,354 at bats. Hit his triple 11-Sep-1970 in San Francisco off Juan Marichal.

BREAKING: the Braves called up Ronald Acuna today, and placed him in tonight's starting lineup. Nice to see the return of his fabulous striped socks.

No comments: