Saturday, July 27, 2024

Ice Ice Baby

The new trend in the NFL is “icy” all white uniforms. This off season the Vikings, Packers, and Jaguars have unveiled white helmets. If they want them white, why don’t they use white face masks?

Teams with white helmets: Patriots, Dolphins, Jets, Bills, Colts, Chargers, Cowboys, Denver, Vikings, Packers, Jaguars, Browns, Bengals, Georgia Tech. Who have I missed?

Everyone wants to be cool. But when everyone is wearing the same uniform, how cool is that? Wouldn’t you want to be different? The NFL is devolving into one team wearing all white, playing an opponent wearing all black. About as plain as it can be.

Teams with black or navy helmets: Falcons, Bears, Ravens, Steelers, Giants don’t wear navy pants – yet, Rams, Texans, Jaguars, Vikings purple, Eagles, Redskins.

Saw great footage of one of the most unique Falcon helmets in history: Tommy McDonald playing without a facemask, getting tackled by Dick Butkus.

Signs someone is smart.

1. They admit their mistakes. I try to, anyway.

2. They’re great problem solvers. Not me.

3. They appreciate nuance. Not sure what that means.

4. They say “I don’t know”. All the time.

5. They have self doubt. Why I’m reading this article.

6. They ask questions. Not me.

7. They love a challenge. Not really me.

8. They know their audience. Not as much as I need to.

9. They can simplify big ideas. I make things more complicated.

10. They listen to people they disagree with. I'm really close on this one.

11. They’re humble. Am I? Really?

12. They take a moment before blurting out a reply. Not nearly enough.

13. They are well spoken. “Creativity, humor, and verbal acuity are good signs of intelligence. Lack of empathy, low openness, and seeing the world in absolutes are signs of low intelligence”. You tell me.

14. A dry sense of humor. I think you’ll find me all business (old joke).

15. They are great storytellers. That rules me out.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.upworthy.com/how-do-you-know-someone-is-very-smart-here-are-15-subtle-signs-people-notice__;!!AE29DT8V!U3N_VrJiZLHKcIN12kNwhpNpIucLYGKFTc_HbUsj0ehHsTujVBywc7i9FigFAPg94a9N-OkeN02p2Q2hJ5c$

I’m glad I’m not the only one who spends time thinking about socks – Millennials and Gen Zers do too. Right or wrong, I do like my crew socks.

Millennial-Gen Zer Sock Fight Is an Intergenerational Trend War - Bloomberg

MICKEY MANTLE [SABR Bio] was the first Yankee outfielder to win MVP in consecutive seasons, 1956 and 57. Catcher Yogi Berra had won in 1954 & 55. He only won one batting title and one RBI title. In 1956 he won the Triple Crown, when he led the majors in each category. He hit .353, had 130 RBI, and 52 HR.  He did have three additional HR titles, 37, 42 & 40 in 1955, 58 & 60.  He famously had 54 HR in 1961, seven behind the Roger Maris. Mantle homered 284 times while President Eisenhower was in office (1953-61), behind only the 313 of the NL’s Eddie Mathews. In 1993 Mantle was admitted to the Betty Ford Center for alcohol rehabilitation. Betty Ford was the first lady when her husband, Gerald Ford, was president.

Rant of the day: man the mud-slinging is getting deep. Beware of what you read and hear. Things being taken out of context. Kamala even admitted she had done it. Quotes being dragged out from years ago. Facts being scrubbed off the internet, as if it never happened. George Orwell warned us of such. Saw a tweet that had been doctored, or deleted. Plus reminders that we shouldn't expect our enemies to act like anything else.

No comments: