Thursday, September 08, 2005

politics

Stuff like politics in a group setting is tough. My small office has widely different viewpoints, and some people can’t help but continuously share their views. Missed the third part of the Hero series, where the soldier was there. Before that it seemed the series wasn’t particularly about the war, instead about what an individual should do, faced with knowing what needed to be done. Actually similar to other series, where the point was to act, not sit. I know that there are things I should do (become more of a people person, for one).

In the past Andy hasn’t ventured into controversial subjects like politics or the war, except perhaps from a biblical perspective, with the point being something personal or how accurate the bible is, as opposed to making a point about politics or the war. That said, I can certainly see how politics/war can come up in group. Our old group might’ve had more interesting discussions than my current group, but even the new group wouldn’t be in complete agreement, either.

I’m not sure it’s the best thing for a Christian to have a Bush sticker on the back of the minivan/SUV. How would y’all feel if the first time you went to North Point you drove up and most of the cars in the lot had Bush stickers? There…I need to love everyone, not just those like me. Kinda like Romans 14:12 – 15:7, big verse quoter that I am (had to look it up).

Hopefully I can stick to the ‘trying to get it right / not there yet / work in progress’ part…are these not NP themes? Don’t know if I could be so bold. What I appreciate about Andy is that he speaks for/about himself and what/how he believes God is. From there, God can use those words in other’s hearts and minds however God wants. I can’t hold a gun to someone’s head to make them agree with me (perhaps not the best way of looking at things). Not that I’m the best at building relationships, or even loving my neighbor. Regardless of what’s going on in our country and world, does not God just want our honor and praise, our trust in Him?

Is the goal of a blog to be an easy way to share, especially with particular people whenever you write something…like emailing something to many people…with the opportunity for anyone else to read it? What’s the downside? Noticed that Jeff Dollar, that Q100 / Braves between innings guy, had mentioned his blog on air. I looked it up and it’s basically it’s own web site.

Nice win last night. M & I saw the Langerhans hit. W was supposed to be asleep, but had the radio on.

As far as Smoltz’ HOF credentials, in addition to his starting/relieving/starting success, throw in that he’s the leader in all-time postseason wins.

A Braves publicist should put together a game-by-game highlight listing of Andruw’s contributions…HRs, RBIs, run-saving diving catches, etc. Suspect it would compare well with the other MVP candidates.

One I hadn’t heard…from Ken Rosenthal in Choptalk…the Braves made a run at Alfonso Soriano, offering two players and a prospect for him and OF Kevin Mench. Who? Giles and Furcal? Furcal and Johnson or Langerhans or Estrada? Texas doesn’t need a SS…isn’t that where Michael Young plays?

Just won tickets for the game of the year…the Falcons/Eagles Monday Night Football game next week. But this morning I'd planned an out-of-town business trip for next Monday & Tuesday…my only open days on this month’s calendar. Letting a connected co-worker go, with hopes of him returning the favor later in the season.

An interesting story in the paperback…’Incredible Football Feats’ by Jim Benagh, published in 1974, saying Tom Dempsey played on a weekend semi-pro team after getting out of Palomar Junior College, and made a 57-yard field goal…without a shoe! Probably hard to fact-check. Dempsey is still alive, I suppose he could be asked.

No comments: