Wednesday, January 11, 2006

The Texas Cap

After going to a Clemson game and hanging around his cousins, Will had been clamoring to go to the mall to get a Clemson cap. He didn’t find one after Christmas when we went to Perimeter Mall. Then he changed his mind as to what cap he wanted. Last night we went to North Point Mall and ducked into one cap store where the employee was the only one in the store. He asked if there was a particular team we were looking for, so I told him to guess. The guy got it right…Will wanted a Texas cap. They actually had one Texas cap 'on sale'...half the price of the regular ones. Will wanted one of the regular ones. There were many caps on sale...including some UGA and GT caps. I wasn't in the mood to get one for me. More kicker / punter stories…Randall Cunningham set punting records at UNLV, and had a 90-yarder for the Eagles…Herschel was on the punting team for Philly on that punt (you can see him in the photo). In the new SI, I learned that Flutie converted a drop-kick PAT in the Pats loss to Miami. The first since 1941…the Bears’ Scooter McLean. Didn’t Mick Luckhurst make one in a Falcons preseason game? Got a headache Friday that lasted until Sunday…coming off caffeine, lack of sleep due to bowl games, sinuses. Slept late Saturday and took an afternoon nap. Forgot about the Ron Howard salute on Bravo Saturday night, but caught some of it Sunday afternoon. They showed a trailer for the “Code”. Will’s been wearing my Longhorns Football long-sleeve tee that I got in 2004 and never wore. A few years ago in Dallas I picked up a Ricky Williams for Heisman tee…had the statue with dreadlocks (it was on sale, of course). Last week Will reorganized all his cards, so he’d love to have more (as would I, but I’ll defer). Never checked to see if he finished. Duplicates pile up, and for a while you think you want to keep them. No one has more Randy Bush cards than me. Had small group Friday. Moved it back from 7 to 7:30 so people wouldn’t be late. Murphy’s Law…many were still late, and 1.5 couples were no-shows. Since it was so nice Sunday I had to paint on the playhouse, and Will helped me clean out the garage. This weekend Ceil’s old roommate comes to town, her husband is a good guy…accountant/FBI agent. They’ll stay for church Sunday. Matthew didn’t hesitate when I asked if he wanted to play baseball…he does. Then when he found out a birthday party might interfere with tryouts, he said he didn’t want to play! Will's not into shoes yet, but he wears them out pretty quick. May have told you that he's been wearing some of my smaller pairs that I hadn't been wearing. Yesterday we went to play golf, and his golf shoes were too small, so he wore a pair of mine. I was needed at home for Ceil’s noon appointment, she didn’t get home until 1:30. I would’ve had to leave work shortly after four to make my doctor’s appointment, so I took the afternoon off. Took Will to play golf, since it was so nice. Hadn’t washed my car in a while so I did that…and today it rained. Needed to wash it anyway. After my doctor's appointment, Anna and I went to the library, Old Navy, Wendy's, post office, Publix, and stopped at a few McDonalds looking for the one 'Narnia' Happy Meal toy that we can't find. Boss just told me to schedule a trip somewhere to view the company’s new SAP computer system…several days somewhere in the west…SF, Seattle, Denver, Phoenix…LA wouldn’t be good. I’ll try and do it in April, and go to some baseball games. Easier to expense than NBA tickets! When I typed that about small group people being late/missing, my thoughts turned to the fact that we’ll be disbanding this summer…almost added that, though I do enjoy the people. The couple that misses the most has been going through the most…they aren’t the type who responds well to having many activities crammed into one day/week. Of course, meeting on Fridays is a big part of the problem. Some were saying Jim Rice’s numbers look pretty good compared to today’s steroid-inflated numbers.

No comments: