Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Midsummer Classic

Got home late from work, and I missed all the HOFer introductions…I love stuff like that. Saw most of the game after that. Will got home and wanted to watch to the end, but I made us go to bed when whatever inning ended at 12:35.

The late innings made me think about how back in the old days the greatest players played most all of the game…Mays, Aaron, Rose, etc. Might’ve been a different game had the top-line stars been in there in the 8th or 9th…Utley instead of Uggla. Corey Hart had some key AB’s that could’ve gone to someone more established. You’d always have positions where there’s no one big star, like the NL catcher.

ARod might’ve hustled off the field quickly when he was replaced because he was afraid he might’ve been boo-ed. Did see if he got a good reception in the pregame.

Liked how Buck tossed in his both his daughter’s names, when one was celebrating her birthday. Then he immediately changed the subject…talking up another promo. If they have to mentions other shows and contests, no harm in throwing in a birthday.

If you add more pitchers like Hudson & JJ, you might could also honor an older player with a spot on the team…like a Griffey or Maddux.

I don’t know enough about Casey Stengel, though I know a little. Marv Throneberry…I had an old baseball book that said he was known for missing hitting the base when running the bases.

When Ceil went over to the Whitakers, she had forgotten which house…until they saw all the paper cutouts in the window.


1 comment:

Melissa said...

So, Dave, I know Lang reads your blog, and just had to say how FREAKED out I was to be watching VH1's new "I love the New Millenium" show, and see this guy, looking vaguely like a guy I used to know named Lang Whitaker giving commentary! It was CRAZY!

SO, Lang, if you're reading this, cool gig... you did well. Hope all is well with you and yours.