Tuesday, July 01, 2008

More on Matt

I may have mentioned a year or two ago about Anna and Ceil knowing Matt Stewart’s wife and daughter. They really haven’t done much since, though Ceil ran into her at Wal-Mart sometime since then. Crazy that when he did the “if you’re from Macon, you may know my relatives” thing, the only Stewarts I remembered were indeed his cousins. His uncle coached me my second year of Little League, assisted by his cousin Jimmy. Later that cousin was my B-team coach, a good, fun, young guy. Matt said Jimmy’s younger brother Jeff played on the state championship football team, and I confused Jeff with younger brother Scott. I’m just now remembering Jeff, a starting offensive guard a year older than me. I was able to tell Matt I was on that same team.

The main drag of Destin was very crowded, as were the restaurants. We were off a smaller street. The beaches may have been more crowded just a quarter mile east, where there where a couple of high rises. The condo was a 1 / 3 mile walk…we came out at a place on the beach where there were only private residences, so there was plenty of room to spread out in the sand and water. We’re not big seafood eaters…Moes and Longhorn the nights we were there.

I did like the way back best, except there was a small detour getting on the interstate south of Montgomery. The scenery was great, we hardly stopped, traffic moved almost too fast. Saw some interesting places that it would be fun to stop at. The route going down seemed longer, the interstate was more boring. Then I must’ve made a wrong turn, but looking at the map just now, maybe I didn’t. Didn’t see any deer on the way back…it was a little earlier in the evening.

Anyway, Ceil and I enjoy the journey almost as much as being there. Some people speed to the destination, while I enjoy the scenery along the way. Didn’t mind at all going one way on the trip down and another on the way back…more fun that way. The trip couldn’t have been better!

No comments: